Outlets for Current Limiter?

Old 08-27-05, 12:10 PM
jrrepairman
Visiting Guest
Outlets for Current Limiter?

Hi,

I'm trying to build a current limiter but have come to a dead end, I'm looking for "SINGLE" 15 amp wall outlets OR better yet a "DOUBLE" 15 amp wall outlet wired in "SERIES". I tried a "google" search but it seems like I'm from another planet asking for something that only I know what the name of it is.

I have three questions:

Do these things exist and if so where can I get one?

If they don't exist is it possible to take apart a "NORMAL" wall outlet that's wired "PARALLEL" and un-wire it so I can have two separate outlets not connected?

OR

Can I use a double outlet metal box and wire the top two outlets in series and just use the top two outlets for my current limiter and as a bonus have two extension outlets on the bottom?

The last question is what I would like to do because I initially wanted the current limiter on one half of the box and and extension outlet on the other; if I can do the above I will have the current limiter on top and the extension outlets on the bottom.

Thanks,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-05, 02:13 PM
jrrepairman
Visiting Guest
Okay,

That's why I call myself "jrrepairman".

Just went to Home Depot and the representative there said to just break the small tabs on the sides of a normal wall socket where the power is connected and patched to the other outlet; this will separate the two outlets. VERY SIMPLE, but not for me.

That's why I'm not an Electrical Engineer, I couldn't figure that out.

Joe

Old 08-27-05, 02:54 PM
I cannot comment on your "current limiter" needs, but I can tell you how to wire a duplex receptacle so that the two receptacles are in series. First, I must note that this is a very, very unusual thing to do, and I can think of no reason to do it. So please post back and tell us why you want to do such a strange thing.
  • Break off the tabs on both sides of a duplex receptacle.
  • Connect the power feed hot (black) wire to the top brass screw.
  • Connect the power feed neutral (white) wire to the bottom silver screw.
  • Use a jumper to connect the bottom brass screw to the top silver screw.
Caveat: This makes an interesting science fair project, but it probably violates a number of electrical codes, so you can't really install this in your home.

Old 08-28-05, 09:31 AM
jrrepairman
Visiting Guest
Hi John,

I'm using the current limiter to check for shorts in guitar amplifiers. A 100 watt light bulb is inserted in one socket and the amp in the other, when the amp is turned on if a short exists the light bulb will light; if no short the light bulb does not light.

Joe