Help on wiring a light with a rotary switch

Old 08-28-05, 02:00 PM
Help on wiring a light with a rotary switch

I have a small light on my fireplace that is on the end of a circuit. The circuit has regular receptacles on it from the light back to the panel. On the power end of the circuit, I have the normal color wires, white, black and green. On the light fixture I have (coming from the light itself, black and green and bare). I bought and attached a small rotary switch, to turn the light on and off. This rotary switch has two black wires only. When I wire black to black and white to white and green to bare, the light stays on all the time. When I change one of the blacks from the switch to the neutral (white) the light stays on, when I turn the light off by the rotary switch, the breaker trips. I don;t want to guess any longer and hope that some of you more knowledgeable users can help me. Thanks for everyones help on a previous post and thanks for everyone help on this one.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-05, 02:07 PM
Your post is confusing. How many wires total are in the switch box? And exactly what did you connect to what in the switch box?

And how many wires total are in the light fixture box, and exactly what did you connect to what in the light fixture box?

It seems that you have miswired a switch loop, but we need more details to know.

Is this "rotary switch" a dimmer?

Old 08-28-05, 06:22 PM
Help on wiring a light fixture with a rotary switch

Your post is confusing. How many wires total are in the switch box?

The switch box has three wires, black white and green.
And how many wires total are in the light fixture box, and exactly what did you connect to what in the light fixture box? The light fixture box has a white, black and a bare neutral wire. I drill a hole and put the small light switch on the base. The switch has two black wires only. I also connected the black on the small rotary light switch to the black from the light fixture box and the black from the switch box ( I am assuming you are calling the power coming into the fixture the switch box)

And exactly what did you connect to what in the switch box?
I connected black from the light fixture box to the black in the switch box. Same with with and green

It seems that you have miswired a switch loop, but we need more details to know.

Is this "rotary switch" a dimmer? No its one of the small lamp switches that wires into a light fixture. To turn the power on and off and not use a wall switch.

Old 08-28-05, 06:56 PM
help on wiring a light fixture with a rotary switch

Let me try to explain a little further as my post seems to be confusing.

I got a small rotary switch,drilled a 1/4" hole and mounted it to the light fixture. This light is located at the very end of my circuit. On the power circuit coming in, I have the black, white and green wire. On the light fixture I have a black, white and bare (neutral wire). On the small rotary switch I have two black wires only. I connected the black from the power circuit coming in to the black on the light fixture and then to the blacks on the rotary switch. I connected the white to the white and green to the bare wire. The light stayed on all the time. Next I again connected white to white, green to bare, black coming in from the circuit to black from the fixture and one of the black wires from the switch to white. Again the light stayed on and the breaker tripped when I turned the switch off. To connect this correctly should I have connected the black supply (circuit) wire to one side of the rotary switch, connect the other black switch wire to the black wire going to the light fixture. Then connect the 2 white wires together, and then the green and bare wire.

Old 08-28-05, 08:12 PM
This is very simple.
Disconnect the black wires at the fixture. Connect one wire from the switch to the black from the fixture. Connect the other wire from the switch to the black from the wall. Leave the white and ground alone.

Old 08-29-05, 08:35 AM

That was what I was thinking, thanks for the help.

Old 09-06-05, 03:49 PM

Tried the suggestions and whola...the lights worked fine. Thanks everyone for their help. Now on to my next electrical project. Three way switches.