open ground

Old 08-30-05, 04:22 PM
welderdude
Visiting Guest
open ground

I have recently purchased a home and in the inspection report it said that there were open grounds. A few 2 prong receptacles were replaced with 3 prong. I also need to install GFI's in the bath(s) and kitchen. Do I need to install GFI breakers or can I ground them to the metal gang boxes??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-05, 07:25 PM
Dpending upon the age of the home there may be a ground wire in each of the boxes{wrapped around a cableclamp screw}.You'll need to pull a receptacle out to verify.GFCI {breakers} can be installed but that can get expensive.GFCI receptacles can be installed in place of the 1st 2-prong receptacle on each circuit & it may work out a little cheaper.GFCIs must be installed in every kitchen & bathroom.For these I would run new circuits.

Old 08-30-05, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by welderdude
I have recently purchased a home and in the inspection report it said that there were open grounds. A few 2 prong receptacles were replaced with 3 prong. I also need to install GFI's in the bath(s) and kitchen. Do I need to install GFI breakers or can I ground them to the metal gang boxes??
GFI protection will work whether the receptacle is properly grounded or not. They measure the difference in current between the hot and the neutral, any difference is assumed to be going to the ground, either the equipment grounding conductor (green or bare wire) or a person and a water pipe, etc. It will trip at a very small difference (typ. 6 mA) just to be on the safe side; again, whether the receptacle itself is grounded or not.

I prefer GFI receptacles. They have fewer nuisance trippings in my experiences, such as those caused by electrical storms.

Remember that they can be wired to protect only themselves, or the other receptacles downstream from the GFI.

To fix open grounds from old wiring, you pretty much have to run a wire down the wall and connect it to the ground on the receptacle and then tie it to the grounding system from the panel. We've done whole houses with this method a few times.

Old 08-31-05, 08:39 AM
You'r very first priority, best done while the house is un-furnished, is to determine and record, in table-form, exactly what outlets and loads are connected to each circuit-breaker or fuse.

The Branch-Circuit Conductors that extend from the Service-panel will terminate in an oulet-box.Let's say the termination-point for a certain B-C is an L-R receptacle.If you connect the "Line" terminals of a GFI receptacle to the 2 "Feed-In" condutors from the C-B, and the "Feed-Out" conductors to the "Load" GFI terminals,ALL outlets on that circuit will have GFI protection.The point is, that with ingenuity and a pre-knowlege of what's connected to where, it's possible that one GFI receptacle can be connected to extend GFI protection to receptacles that may have a Grounding problem, or to receptacles where GFI protction is required.

Good LUck, and Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-05, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by welderdude
A few 2 prong receptacles were replaced with 3 prong.
You have three options for fixing this from cheapest to most expensive:

1) Replace the 3 prong receptacles with 2 prong receptacles. It was a code violation to have changed them to 3 prong in the first place.

2) Install a GFCI receptacle as the first device on the affected circuits and affix the "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND" and "GFCI PROTECTED OUTLET" stickers to the 3 prong receptacles.

3) Have the house wired with a ground wire. This is very expensive and many people say if you're going to spend that much, why not just totally re-wire the whole house?