Question on junction box

Old 08-31-05, 10:23 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on junction box

I love this forum...everyone is so helpful and have all the answers.

I currently have 7 receptacles and one light on a circuit. These receptacles will only have minimal usage. The wiring is 12 gauges going to a 20 amp breaker. I want to come off that circuit (if possible) with a junction box and put a three way switch to control two small overhead lights upstairs. Is the too much for the circuit? Thanks in advance

Old 08-31-05, 10:29 AM
R
Load wise you are probably okay.

However, where is the existing light, and where are the existing receptacles? Where do you want to put these new lights?

Old 08-31-05, 10:55 AM
P
Question on Junction Box

Load wise you are probably okay.

However, where is the existing light, and where are the existing receptacles? Where do you want to put these new lights?

The lights will be a new run, that is non existant as this time. The receptacles are in place, and I want to install the junction box between the 5th and 6th receptacle. The new light switch will be at the 6th receptacle, going downstairs to one switch then back upstairs to the second switch. Then going overhead to the two small overhead lights. Maybe it would be easier to come off the circuit I will install downstairs, it will have only 4 receptacles on it. Then I can run a wire from the last downstairs receptacle on that circuit to the new 3 way switch, then from that switch downstairs, to the second 3 way switch upstairs continuing on to the two overhead lights. I think that would be easier. Thoughts?

Old 08-31-05, 11:28 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could, of course install a new junction box between the 5th and 6th receptacles, but that's probably not the best idea. You don't really need the box, and there's probably not enough slack in the cable to allow you to make proper connections. It would be better to just use the existing 5th or 6th receptacle box as the junction box you need.

A couple of lights probably does not add load significant enough to worry too much about.

Old 08-31-05, 11:35 AM
P
Question on Junction box

John I thought about that but all I have read it not to backstab the receptacles if possible, and that is the only way I can do it, I understand that you shouldn't double the wires on the screw terminals, is that correct.

Old 08-31-05, 11:35 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I believe racraft's question was intended to discover the location of the existing receptacles. This is important because you cannot extend this circuit if the existing receptacles are in a kitchen, bathroom, or dining room. Assuming that is okay, your plan sounds solid.

Do you know where you need to use 12/2 wire and where you need to use 12/3 wire in this circuit? Assume "-" means 12/2, "=" means 12/3, "S" means 3-way switch, and "L" means light. Here are some common layouts that will work:

(existing)-S=S-L1-L2
(existing)-S=L1=S and L1-L2

Old 08-31-05, 11:40 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
John I thought about that but all I have read it not to backstab the receptacles if possible, and that is the only way I can do it, I understand that you shouldn't double the wires on the screw terminals, is that correct.
Backstabbing and two wires under a screw are not your only two options. That's why they make wire nuts.

Old 08-31-05, 11:49 AM
P
Question on Junction Box

I didn't even think about the wire nuts. That is a viable option, thanks John.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: