Old Type S-fuse panel diagnosis

Old 09-01-05, 04:57 AM
kbarazi
Visiting Guest
Old Type S-fuse panel diagnosis

Hello,

A couple of days ago, we had a power outage. Right before that happened, power flickered for a few seconds. Power eventually came back.

A couple of hours later, while watching TV with lights on (connected to a dimmer switch). I heard a couple of pops in the wallplate of the dimmer lights. I jumped to turn the lights offs. When I tried to turn them on, both dimmer lights did not works (2x Leviton 600W that each control 2 - 65Wbulbs).

I went down to the electrical panel (old S-type fuse type) and checked the fuse and it is fine (I even replaced it just to test) - still nothing.

I bought new dimmers and bulbs and replaced them - nada. Maybe there is something in addition to the dimmers that fried beacause I tested, as in briefly touched, the hot wires coming into the dimmer receptacle and there is no power. Everything else in the house is working and the fuses all look good. I just can't figure it out.

PS: these dimmers have been working for about a year now.

Can a wire in the circuit have melted somewhere? Anything else i can do to diagnose the S-Type old circuit breaker box? Please help.

Marc.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-05, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by kbarazi
Maybe there is something in addition to the dimmers that fried beacause I tested, as in briefly touched, the hot wires coming into the dimmer receptacle and there is no power.
You briefly touched the wires? With what? I hope that it wasn't with your fingers. That would have been very ill-advised. Only someone with a death wish and paid up life insurance should do that.

Now on to your problem. What you need to do is to buy a tester and test for power. Power at the fuses and power at the switch. What you are looking to do is to figure out where you have power and where you donít. Your problem could be any number of things, but is most likely an open circuit or a burned out equipment. However, since you replaced the dimmers we should look elsewhere. Once you determine where you have power and where you don;pt you can begin to search for the problem.

Last edited by John Nelson; 09-01-05 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Mom says not to call people names
Old 09-01-05, 08:46 AM
The first step is to remove the cover from the fuse-panel and check for voltage between each terminal where the wires connect to a fuse, and the Neutral terminals where the White wires connect. A simple lamp-socket with "test-leads" will suffice if you don't have a reliable and accurate voltage-tester/meter.

Good Luck & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!!!!!