Landscape lighting layout

Old 09-03-05, 11:26 PM
rockee
Visiting Guest
Landscape lighting layout

I will try explain my question as best I can without a diagram.

I have dug a trench for 12-2 UF cable for some landscape floodlights. Looking at the house, I’m coming from the front right of the house to the right of ther the entryway in a straight line towards the street about 10 feet, and then I go at a right angle to hit my first ground light in front of my right shrub bed. I will have 2 more ground lights to the right of these. Let’s call these light #’s 1, 2, 3. I now have to run the cable from here to get under my walk (I have a conduit) and I will put lights #4, 5, 6 in front of the left bed.

My question is once I get to light #3, must I then loop back the cable in the same trench to go to the left of the house, or can I stop the cable run at light #3, and make a connection at light #1 with a different cable to get to the left side of the house? In other words are you allowed to use a floodlight fixture as a “junction box” for three sets of wire ends (floodlight wire, wire to next light in series, and wire which will go under the walk)? BY not looping back it saves me about 20" of cable which is not a big deal, but most importantly I want to do the correct thing.

The circuit will be protected by a GFCI breaker.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-05, 08:49 AM
Assuming the box has a sufficient number of cubic inches, then yes. Most boxes are marked on the box how many cubic inches they are. What's it say?

Saving 20" (or even 20') is not very significant.

Old 09-04-05, 11:03 AM
rockee
Visiting Guest
Lighting run

Originally Posted by John Nelson
Assuming the box has a sufficient number of cubic inches, then yes. Most boxes are marked on the box how many cubic inches they are. What's it say?

Saving 20" (or even 20') is not very significant.
I don't have the outdoor lights yet, but am ready to lay the wire. What is usually the cubic inch size of the box for an outdoor ground flood?

My mistake - I would be saving 20' of wire and not 20” - but again cost is not that significant versus labor involved so I guess I would still then loop back, and since it is line voltage I don't think the extra 20' for a 12-2 wire would cause a voltage drop. Do you agree?

As an aside, I think I actually may in fact have a separate wire run for each side after reconsidering this, so that if need be I can switch the lights separately on each side. This would actually still be even more cable (15' more) but would allow flexibility for separate switching. Is this advisable?

Old 09-04-05, 03:37 PM
What is usually the cubic inch size of the box for an outdoor ground flood?
Go buy the lights before you run the cable. There could be quite a few things about the new lights you'll need to know when you run the cable, such as how much extra cable to leave at each light location. Bury the cable a minimum of 12 inches deep.