Breaker Box

Old 09-04-05, 02:48 PM
Breaker Box

Here is the situation, we are buying a house and the previous homeowner put a 1/2 bath in front of the breaker box, meaning that the breaker box is in this bathroom. To me it seems that it isnt ok to have it there, anyone have any feedback as to will it be ok to stay there or will it need to be moved in order to pull a permit for say an addition?? Please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-05, 03:11 PM
If you just purchased the home, look again at the seller's disclosure statement. It should list the bathroom as an unpermitted addition. If it does not, you may have legal recourse against the seller. Furthermore, you likely also have a claim against your home inspector, since the violation was readily visible and should have been noticed by any competent home inspector. The home inspector has errors and omissions insurance for this sort of thing. Contact your inspector first. Then check with your realtor and/or a real-estate attorney.

Although your home inspector didn't notice this problem, the next person you sell to will almost certainly hire a more competent home inspector, and it will cause you problems when you go to sell.

The panel location is clearly a code violation. If the violation is clearly visible to an inspector in your house for another inspection, he may take action. But the inspector will not go around looking at your whole house for violations, so if it isn't visible during a future inspection, it likely won't be noticed. But if this panel will provide power to your future addition, it's certainly going to require correction.

How big of a hazard is it? Well, since it's only a half-bath, it shouldn't be subject to a lot of moisture, and it probably won't be locked for long periods of time. So it's probably not the biggest hazard in the world.

What's on the other side of the wall? Maybe the panel can be easily be relocated by turning it around.

Old 09-05-05, 12:31 AM
The outside is on the other side of the wall so turning it around wouldnt work, was going to just have an electrician move the box about 5 feet outside the bathroom. The inspector was the one that told me that it would cause problems if I were to re sell or try to pull a permit. I want to just move the box rather than remove the bathroom. I appreciate your quick response and thank you. I am a first time homebuyer and am learning. Like I said in another post I only have 3 grounded outlets in the house so one of the first steps I will be doing is adding ground to those other outlets and getting that box moved. Once again thanks, how hard would it be to move the box, is it as easy as adding more wire to the existing and moving it over like 5 feet??

Old 09-05-05, 07:45 PM
The simplest and cheapest, but not necessarily the most cosmetic, way to move the box is to use the old box as a junction box. The old box must remain in the bathroom, and it must remain accessible, but there won't be any breakers in it any more.

Old 09-06-05, 11:18 AM
Ok I get it, just junction off the wires to a new box, the old box will still remain the power supply for the new box that sounds easy enough.