Line Tracing

Old 09-12-05, 12:36 PM
CLUE
Visiting Guest
Line Tracing

During a remodel I found a line(14/2 w/ground) connected to the supply but I can't figure out what it's for. It goes into the floor joists above. I left it disconnected 2 weeks with no affect and have traced every light and recepticle. Is there any other way to determine where it goes and what it's for?

Old 09-12-05, 12:45 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What do you mean by "connected to the supply"?

Old 09-12-05, 12:50 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
What part of the house is it in? What did it connect to? Toward what room does it travel?

Perhaps it connects to something seldom used, seasonal or automatic like attic lights, attic fan, heat tapes, christmas lights, furnace air handling, water softener, or the sump pump.

Old 09-12-05, 01:50 PM
CLUE
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft
What do you mean by "connected to the supply"?
It was conncected to the power supply comming in to the bathrom along with the lights and fan. It goes up to the ceiling and passes through a joist of the living room floor above. There is nothing in this condo that doesn't work while this wire is disconnected. every receptical, light, switch and smoke detector works.

Old 09-12-05, 02:12 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the circuit breaker that powers this circuit in any way labeled, such as might give you a clue as to what might be or have been on this circuit?

Are you sure that you tested everything with this wire disconnected? Intercom? Doorbell? Outside light and/or receptacle? Smoke detectors?Everything?

Is it possible that there was a light or ceiling fan that someone might have removed and improperly covered the box over? (Do any other condos have a light or fan or other electrical device that your condo no longer has?)

You can certainly try an experiment and leave the wire disconnected and see what happens. I would not, however, do this just before you go on vacation or away for an extended period of time. You may very well discover that something no longer works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: