Wiring a switch/recepticle

Old 09-07-05, 08:23 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring a switch/recepticle

Dear Do-It-Yourself,

Thank you for the service.
In Step #5 (("Installing Switch and Convenience Outlet in same Box), there suddenly appears a "red wire." The 14-2 wire I am using has only a black, white, and ground. I am at a total loss as to where the red wire comes from. Am I using the wrong wire? If so, it is has already been behind the wall, and I can do nothing about it -- apparently a dumb mistake on my part.

Let me ask if the following will work: Power is coming to the IN screw on the recepticle. I connect three black wires to a pigtail, one black wire from the IN screw on the recepticle, one black wire from the OUT screw on the recepticle, and one black wire from what I will call the "in" screw on the switch.
A black wire is then connected to the light from the "out" screw on the switch.

Next I connect three white wires to a pigtail, one from IN screw on the neutral side of the recepticle, one from the OUT screw, and one from the light.

Will this work? Will it meet code? Will it meet code if I use a GFCI recepticle?

Let me make one more point. The switch has nothing to do with the operation of the recepticle. The switch only operates the light -- the recepticle is hot all the time.

Dick

Old 09-07-05, 08:38 AM
R
Step number 5 of what?

Old 09-07-05, 09:37 AM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

In Step #5 (("Installing Switch and Convenience Outlet in same Box), there suddenly appears a "red wire." The 14-2 wire I am using has only a black, white, and ground. I am at a total loss as to where the red wire comes from. Am I using the wrong wire?
Your book is just showing you one of many ways to wire this switch and receptacle. They are using the red wire for switched power.

Let me ask if the following will work: Power is coming to the IN screw on the recepticle. I connect three black wires to a pigtail, one black wire from the IN screw on the recepticle, one black wire from the OUT screw on the recepticle, and one black wire from what I will call the "in" screw on the switch. A black wire is then connected to the light from the "out" screw on the switch. Next I connect three white wires to a pigtail, one from IN screw on the neutral side of the recepticle, one from the OUT screw, and one from the light.
This is totally incorrect shows a bit of misunderstanding on how to wire this project of yours.

Will this work?
NO

Will it meet code?
You need to tell us where you are doing this...ie....kitchen, bathroom..etc.

Will it meet code if I use a GFCI recepticle?
Maybe, but first we need to know where and what your wanting to do.

As you describe what you are doing it appears you have the wiring in place that will work. Assuming you have a 14/2G bringing power to the box and another 14/2G to the light.

Old 09-07-05, 01:35 PM
A
Wiring a Switch/Recepticle

Originally Posted by racraft
Step number 5 of what?
Bob,
I apologize for misunderstanding how this forum works -- I know nothing about forums.
Do It Yourself has section titled "Installing or Replacing Electric Switches." In that section there are some nine "Steps" -- each concerned with various installation of switches. Step five has to do with "Installing switch and convenience outlet in same box."
My wife had wanted a light over the sink. The outlet next to the sink seemed to be about the only place I could put the switch. Judging from what Roger had to say, I am way off base and had better forget the whole thing.
Thanks for the offer to help.
Dick

Old 09-07-05, 01:52 PM
A
Installing switch and convenience outlet in same box

Roger,

I want to thank you for taking the time to set me straight on this issue. It is not that I haven't done a fair amount of wiring -- took courses etc. some 25 years back, but I don't recall learning how to put a switch and recepticle together.
I don't want to fool around with something I am not certain of, so I will forget it.

Dick

Old 09-07-05, 02:15 PM
R
Dick,

Thank you for clarifying things. I am aware that this web site has instructions for various things, but without the actual title "Installing or Replacing Electric Switches." I had no idea where you were quoting from.

Those instructions are confusing by use of the term red wire. Most fixtures have a white wire and a black wire, not a red wire. just substitute black for red and it will make sense.

As for your setup and issue.. Normally you can do what you want. Replacing an always on receptacle with a switch/receptacle combination can be done and then you can run a new wire to the light. This is fairly straight forward.

However, this is a kitchen. You are not allowed to connect hard wired lighting to kitchen counter top receptacles. This means you cannot do what you propose.

So in short, what you want to do is electrically possible, but not allowed by code. However your interpretation of the instructions is quite flawed, so don't try what you suggest, as it won't work.

Old 09-08-05, 04:20 AM
A
Wiring a switch recepticle

Bob,

Thank you ever so much. I suspected that such a hook-up did not belong in a kitchen, but was told by others that it was okay to do such a thing. You helped me far more than you may think.
The slap on the wrist provided by you and Roger didn't hurt a bit -- it actually felt good.
Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: