New Wiring in Kitchen

Old 09-07-05, 05:53 AM
New Wiring in Kitchen

I have some questions about wiring that is yet to be run in a kitchen. I have read in the forum about NEC codes regarding at least two circuits in the kitchen. Here is what I am planning if it will meet code.

(1) I will run one circuit from the panel to the refrigerator, then from that receptacle to a new receptacle which is beside the sink. (this one is less than 2 feet from the sink, does this have to be GFI)

(2) Then from that receptacle to a GFI receptacle on the wall above the sink.

(3) Then I would like to come off that GFI receptacle to a under the counter light controlled by a switch. Can I do this, or will this light have to be on a seperate circuit? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 06:54 AM
The two receptacles on the counter must be GFCI protected. You could do this with the first GFCI receptacle.

The lights cannot be on this circuit.

I would not put the refrigerator on this circuit. I would run a dedicated circuit for the refrigerator.

Old 09-07-05, 09:30 AM
There are about a hundred important kitchen electrical codes that you need to know. I recommend you spend $6 on a green paperback book, Wiring Simplified, available in the electrical aisle of most Home Depot stores.

Your kitchen needs a lot more than two circuits.

Old 09-07-05, 10:53 AM
New Wiring in Kitchen

There are about a hundred important kitchen electrical codes that you need to know. I recommend you spend $6 on a green paperback book, Wiring Simplified, available in the electrical aisle of most Home Depot stores.

John, its ironic that you mentioned that. I just got back from Barnes and Nobles where I purchased the 2005 edition of Wiring Simplified for $13.00. Then I went to Home Depot for some wire and saw the same book but the 2002 edition for $5.86. Just glancing through both books they looked almost identical. The book is very informative, I look forward to reading it.

Now, regarding the questions I asked, I was pretty sure of the answers, but you confirmed it for me. I was hoping to skip a couple of steps if it was within code. Thanks again for everyones valuable help.