Question on Pump Wiring

Old 09-07-05, 06:05 AM
Question on Pump Wiring

I am wiring up a new submersible pump that is 220 volts. The wiring provided is 12 AWG KALAS (UL) submersible pump cable 600V. It has three wires. One has a black line on top, the center one has a red line on top and the last one has a green line and it is marked grounding only. I think I can figure this one out but I wanted to ask the experts since the pump man told me if I hooked it up to 110 it would burn the pump up immediately.

(1) What size double pole breaker do I need to use at the panel box?
(2) Would I wire red to one side of that breaker?
(3) Black to the other side of the breaker?
(4) And would green go the grounding bar (where the bare grounding
wires are or the white neutral bar?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 06:56 AM
1. Check the pump information. It will tell you.

2. 3. 4. Yes.

Old 09-07-05, 08:47 AM
How powerful is the pump? You should look at the FLA number. They are wired with all kinds of breaker combinations but if it is 2 hp or less put a 20 on it. My 3 hp ran with a 20 but over the years it kicked a couple times on startup, I finally put a 30 on just to keep it from being an anoyance. With old fuses they often wired one hp with 12 and 30's but modern breakers handle startup so much better that you can breaker it closer to the run load.

Old 09-07-05, 10:57 AM
Question on Pump Wiring

I don't have any pump information. The well digger put it in, told me he went down 300 ft. hit an artesian well, I was getting almost 9 gallons per minute. (I am sharing this because I am not sure if it takes a certain horse power pump to pull it up 300 ft and it may help someone determine the horsepower.) He said the pump was wired for 220 but that is all I know. Is it safe to use a 30 amp double pole breaker since I am unsure of the horsepower of the pump? By the way does anyone know the water capacity of 8" well casing per 20 ft section? Thanks

Old 09-07-05, 11:25 AM
Generally you donít go larger than 20 amps with 12 gage wire, so you may have heard that. However, motors are different. You need information to know the pump specifications.

As for the pump you have, you should be able to figure this out. If you don't have documentation indicating the manufacturer and model number, then you should call the contractor back and make sure that you get it. When it eventually comes time to replace it, you'll want to know what you have so that you can get estimates for it's replacement without having to pull it up and look at it first.

Old 09-07-05, 04:49 PM
Question on Pump Wiring

Good point, I will call the well digger. He has to file something with the Health Department I am sure since the permit came from them. I will need this information for future reference anyways. Thanks