GFI Problem

Old 09-08-05, 06:54 AM
bobb150
Visiting Guest
GFI Problem

I will be calling an electrician, but perhaps you can give me a general overview of what's going on. I recently noticed that the outlets on either side of a gfi outlet in the garage were not working, but the gfi outlet was, although it would not test or reset. I replaced the gfi outlet, and the new outlet would not reset, and the other conditions remained the same. I then started looking at other gfi outlets in the house and found that 1 of 2 in the laundry room would not test, nor would 2 of 3 in the kitchen or the one I found on an outdoor outlet. We had the house built about 12 years ago, and I know that at one time these outlets all worked--test/reset--but obviously, I have not checked them on any regular basis. I guess my question is this: Have these units all failed and need to be replaced, or is something interfering with their operation generally?

Old 09-08-05, 07:35 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A GFCI receptacle that provides power does not need to be reset. If it will not test then it is either wired incorrectly (older GFCIs only, as newer GFCI will not work if wired wrong) or it is no longer working properly and needs to be replaced.

I suggest that you verify correct wiring of the new GFCI that you installed in the garage. If it wired properly then disconnect the load receptacles and see if it works. If it works without the load then look for a problem at one of the load receptacles.

As for the other receptacles, look for similar problems.

Old 09-08-05, 11:58 AM
Sparky375
Visiting Guest
All newly built GFCI's due to UL rule will not reset with out power applied so if the new GFCI's you installed have line and load wires reversed they will not work. One possibillity on your old GFCI's all going bad could be caused by lightning strike near by

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: