Pulling heavy wire through conduit

Old 09-08-05, 08:09 AM
Pulling heavy wire through conduit

I am going to be pulling three 4 AWG and one 8 AWG through 115 ft of 1 inch PVC conduit with two 90's. Does this sound like a hard job? Any tips to make it go smoother? How much lube, when, where? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-05, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Tomcat22
I am going to be pulling three 4 AWG and one 8 AWG through 115 ft of 1 inch PVC conduit with two 90's. Does this sound like a hard job? Any tips to make it go smoother? How much lube, when, where? Thanks.
It's a two man job; one to smoothly feed and push, the other to pull. Lots of wire lube applied directly to the wires by the pusher as they go into the conduit. I'm sure your #4 is stranded wire, but get stranded for the #8 also. Taper the head of the pull by staggering the start of each wire and wrap it with electrical tape. Roll out the wires ahead of time to get the twists and kinks out.

Finally, make sure the PVC cement has had a couple hours to set before pulling the wires in. Wet PVC solvents eat wire insulation. Good luck!

Old 09-08-05, 10:04 AM
Thanks, one more thing

Thanks for the advice. The 8 AWG is stranded as well. The electric supply guys said to apply a bunch of lube before the wires to act as a leading "slug", so to speak. They also said that friction in the conduit heats up the THHN coating and it could get sticky, so don't stop. Do you think I should have more than 1 bottle of lube for this?

Old 09-08-05, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Tomcat,

I will add that what is important is that when you pull the wires make sure you organize the wires so that they do not cross over each other.

The extra thickness could cause problems and if you think you need two bottles of lubricant, get three.
You can't afford to run out.

Old 09-08-05, 02:28 PM
Sounds like you installed undersized conduit. What schedule is the pvc? 40? 80?

Old 09-08-05, 06:56 PM
Make it a little easier by going into atleast 1 1/4" .Although the NEC allows for four #4 THHNs in SCH 40.I recommend atleast 1 pullbox or "C" condulet somewhere in the middle of the run.Good luck