PVC For Outside Wiring ?

Old 09-09-05, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC For Outside Wiring ?

Hello:

I was thinking of putting up an outside house flood light by using the standard 1/2 PVC electrical tubing to run the wires from where they come thru the house siding to a few feet above, where I want to put the flood light.
Turns, etc. would be by using the Bell junction type plastic outside boxes.

Bought a bunch of those fitting you use with PVC, and are attached "by welding" together with a Solvent.

Now I'm wondering if I bought the right things:

Are these Solvent fastened fittings Code compliant for outside wiring where the PVC tubing and fittings would be hugging the outside house wall ?

Or, must I use those liquid tight metal connectors for the PVC connections to the box ?
**(I don't know if the liquid tite connectors come in plastic also; do they ?)

Is the Code specific on this ?
Solvent PVC connection O.K. for outside usage ?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-05, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The PVC conduit and associated fittings and boxes are acceptable (and in my opinion prefered) for outdoor use. I assume these are all grey electrical conduit PVC, not plumbing or other such pipe which would be unacceptable. Glue the PVC and let the glue cure before pulling the wires in; wet PVC cement destroys wire insulation.

For wire, you need to use individual conductor THWN wires inside the conduit. Most THHN wire is dual rated for THWN when you're shopping at the hardware store. Romex type NM cable is not allowed in outdoor installations, even in PVC conduit.

Old 09-09-05, 01:36 PM
As a follow up to ibpooks response, conduit is not a water tight location, especially underground. Because of condensation and small breaks in the conduit, the underground conduit eventually gets wet. Even above ground outdoor conduit may see some water. For this reason, make sure that you use waterproof wires. While you could get away with UF cable, you will find it much easier to pull the individual wires.

Old 09-09-05, 09:49 PM
For turns, you can use 90 degree ells, or if you know how, bend straight lengths of conduit. Yuo will also need to put offsets in the condui, so the conduit lines up straight into the box.