House circuits influence each other?

Old 09-10-05, 07:25 AM
House circuits influence each other?

A friend of mine recently installed a whirlpool bath, adding two circuits to his 200 amp box. Everything was fine for a few days, then his basement overhead lights went out. He checked the box and a breaker unrelated to his work had tripped. He tried to reset it, and when he did a different (also unrelated) breaker immediately tripped. He called me over and I checked the box, confirming that his work had been done correctly and didn't seem to be part of the current problem (pun intended).

So here's the deal- breaker 6B goes to the attic or second floor, breaker 20B controls the basement overhead lights. Both breakers cannot be on at the same time. You can turn 6B on, but if you then turn on 20B, 6B will pop, and vice-versa.

Any ideas?

-halfwit

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-05, 08:41 AM
There is a "cross" between the two seperate circuit-conductors at some point in the Branch-Circuit wiring, If you dis-connect the two wires from the C-B terminals, you probably will have a voltage-value of 220 volts across the C-B terminals.

Locating the cross requires patience and persistance. The best "starting-point" would be to know exactly what outlets are on each circuit.

Good Luck & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-05, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, PATTBAA!

I suspected as much, what I'd call a short between the circuits. What puzzles me is that I see the 6B breaker circuit wire running out the top of the service panel, heading upstairs, while the 20B breaker circuit runs out the bottom of the panel, to power the basement overheads. I haven't located the 6B circuit as every light and outlet in the house works with it off, except maybe an attic fan if there is one. Due to the physical locations of these circuits it's difficult to imagine where they would cross.

-halfwit