Defination of exposed wires

Old 09-11-05, 03:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am installing new wiring in two upstair rooms in a cabin. The roof is rather steep so I came off the rooms with what I think is called a kicker or knee walls. The walls comes off the floor and it gives me a 12" small area behind them to run wires and plumbing. Now I come to my question. I have the Wiring Simplified book and after reading the section on exposed wiring I am confused. I want to run my circuits behind these small walls to various portions of the cabin. I do not want to drill through either the ceiling or wall joists if I can help it. I really wanted to just lay the wires behind this wall, putting insulating wire staples, every 4 1/2 ft according to NEC. Then I understood it to say if the wiring is exposed you must run through joists. Now here is what I wanted to do, my intentions are to sheetrock the ceiling and the small walls I talked about. So after doing that, does it satify the NEC requirement regarding exposed wiring. To me it seems like once the wall is covered, then the wires are no long exposed. But the part about putting them in through joists threw me off. Again, Thanks in advance for everones help.

Old 09-11-05, 04:55 AM
W
This is not exposed wiring. It is on the surface of joists in an enclosed wall cavity.

This would be just like routing a cable up along the side of a stud in the stud cavity. Just make sure that the wire is far enough away from the face of the wall that there is no risk of a random nail hitting it. You might need to use nail plates or bore holes at the locations where the wire transitions from this cavity to stud bays for vertical runs.

-Jon

Old 09-11-05, 05:00 AM
P

thanks winnie, that was what I was hoping to hear. There will be no problem with anythi ng coming in contact with the wires once they are enclosed. Thanks again

Old 09-11-05, 05:09 AM
R
I'm not sure that Jon completely understood your plan. As I read it, you are talking about running the wires perpendicular to and across the joists and/or to the wall studs, rather than through them.

In cases like this, at least where there is access, you generally use running boards that the wiring is stapled to at the appropriate places. As this is a small enclosed area, you may be able to get away with your plan, but I wouldn't.

Old 09-11-05, 05:26 AM
P
Definition of exposes wires

I'm not sure that Jon completely understood your plan. As I read it, you are talking about running the wires perpendicular to and across the joists and/or to the wall studs, rather than through them.

In cases like this, at least where there is access, you generally use running boards that the wiring is stapled to at the appropriate places. As this is a small enclosed area, you may be able to get away with your plan, but I wouldn't.

That is what I want to do. Running perpendicular to and behind the joists. Now what is a running board? Please explain that and how it works. Thanks in advance

But you know what, would it be easier and more code complient if I just staple the wires to the ceiling joists and not bore the joists , it would be easier than using the running board maybe?

Last edited by PopPop; 09-11-05 at 05:28 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 09-11-05, 06:03 AM
W
Maybe I should confirm what you are describing.

As I envision it, you will end up with a triangular space, with the roof forming the angle, with the floor forming the base, and with a knee wall forming the side. The knee wall will be 12" high, and you will end up with a small triangular space perhaps 12" on a side or less.

You want to run wires inside this space.

I don't see this as an accessible space that requires wiring across the stud faces to be protected. It is a wall cavity which will protect the wiring.

'Running boards' are an alternative technique to drilling holes in joists for exposed wiring, for example used in a basement ceiling. A board is run perpendicular to the joists, forming a continuous wood surface, and the wiring is run along this surface.

-Jon

Old 09-12-05, 05:36 AM
P
Definition of exposed wiring

Winnie, you described exactly what I wanted to do. In almost exact detail. Ha... so its okay and within code to do it that way. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: