220v 3 wire to 4 wire connection

Old 09-10-05, 02:06 PM
woodsbaybob
Visiting Guest
220v 3 wire to 4 wire connection

I have recently installed a dual rangetop that uses natural gas and electric. The rangetop is Dacor, and has 4 wires (red, black, green, white) the 220v line that I am trying to connect to has 3 wires (white, black, and a copper ground). I need to know which wires to connect together. I have no instructions for the rangetop, as I bought it "as is" at an auction, however, it says on the information sticker 110/220v 15 amp. Can someone help. The electrical components are a grill, and the igniter for the gas burners. Thanks very much. Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-05, 02:25 PM
All ranges are shipped with two sets of installation instructions, one for three-wire circuits and one for four-wire circuits. Even though you don't have the installation instructions, they exist. First use google to search for your make and model number. Most manufacturers make theie installation instructions available on the web. If that doesn't work, call the manufacturer and see if they'll send you the installation instructions.

Old 09-10-05, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What you have is a straight 220 line. This is NOT acceptable to use for a 120/240 application.
Actually the line you have is usable for a 120 circuit, OR a 220 circuit. Not a 120/240v.

You will need to run a new 4-wire circuit to this appliance. As important as the amount of wires is the size of the wires.

What is the exact amperage/kw of this range? This information will be on the rating plate somewhere fastened to the range. Usually in the door frame.
If this has any electric elements I question that it is only 15 amps.