Me too!! (GFCI circuit problems)

Old 09-10-05, 06:53 PM
littlebogi
Visiting Guest
Me too!! (GFCI circuit problems)

Originally Posted by littlebogi
Hello,
I am brand new, so if I am breaking a protocol by sending a private message I apologize.
I saw your post regarding a GFCI circuit. I have the same issue. I simply wanted to install a dimmer for the lights over a bathroom vanity. I tripped the breaker at the panel, removed the on/off switch and installed the dimmer, it didn't work. Used the volt meter and decided the circuit breaker was bad. Installed new breaker and the dimmer works fine. Problem, the outlet with the GFCI is dead and won't reset, I didn't touch the wiring to that outlet at this point. The bathroom at the opposite end of the house has same issue, the outlet in that bath is also dead though not a GFCI, the lights over the vanitiy work in each room, I did not touch any wiring in the 2nd bath. Every other receptacle, light etc. in the house works. just for kicks I took my voltmeter outside and tested the outside receptacles, they're also dead. I cannot find another breaker panel in the house. I disconnected the GFCI and tested all of the leads, dead. Everything was working prior to the installation of the dimmer. Will appreciate any help, going on 2 days now. Talk about men not asking for directions, huh!

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by littlebogi; 09-10-05 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-05, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How old is the house, and are the bathroom lights on the same breaker as the bathroom receptacles? Are the bathroom receptacles on the same circuit?

Old 09-10-05, 08:12 PM
littlebogi
Visiting Guest
GFI Mystery

It is a manufactured home built in 1982. The info on the breaker panel door isn't a lot of help. Doesn't indicate which is GFI circit but, I would say that the GFI is probably on the same circuit. It is the only receptacle in that room. The bedroom next to that bath is on that breaker, A/C, TV etc. shut down when I tripped that breaker. It appears that the receptacles in both baths are linked though at opposite ends of the house, and as I said originally, the outside receptacles are also dead. Everything thing else functions normally, outside lights, power to my shed etc.

Jim

Old 09-11-05, 06:04 AM
Shame on you for not having gone through and labeled each and every breaker with a list of the receptacles, lights, and devices that it controls. This information is invaluable at a time like this, and in an emergency it could save your life. I urge you to do this as soon as possible.

You have a problem with either a GFCI or with the wiring. You will have to check all the working and non working receptacles on the circuit. Since you don't know what's on the circuit, you will have to be extremely careful that you don't tangle with a live receptacle, and you will have to be over-zealous and probably check some receptacles that are not on the circuit.

Good luck.

Old 09-11-05, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
You may have tripped the GFI in the first bathroom. Try to reset it and recheck the other receptacles.

Old 09-11-05, 11:23 AM
littlebogi
Visiting Guest
Talking Thank you

I'd like to thank you for your suggestions. We have only owned this house a little over one year, I know which circuit breakers will shut off kitchen, living room etc., the electrician that wired the house in 1982 didn't put a lot of info on the panel door.
I am going to re-visit the wiring of the dimmer as it is the only change made prior to the 2 bath and outside receptacles not working. I put a dimmer in another part of the house months ago and it had no effect on anything else so I will also look at that for clues.
It's odd that everything else is working normally, just the three receptacles that are dead.
I will get back to you and let you know what I find. If you don't hear from in for a week or more it just means that I; 1) said to heck with it and ran an extension cord to the two baths or, 2) I have been electrocuted!
I did try re-setting the GFCI in bath #1, nothing. I disconnected it and metered the leads, they did not read.

Thanks again

Jim

Last edited by littlebogi; 09-11-05 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-05, 11:52 AM
You should not trust someone else to have labeled the breakers properly. Most electricians only label the major devices, if anything, and changes sometimes are made.

Within a very short time of moving into a house, condo or apartment the new owner should thoroughly map out the electrical system, and also familiarize themselves with how to turn off the gas and the water. With the electrical system, even if someone else has already done so, at the very least confirm that the information is correct.

Old 09-11-05, 03:50 PM
jim97219
Visiting Guest
Bogi,

To expound a bit on what Racraft is suggesting, this is what I did shortly after buying my house a couple of years ago.

Using walkie-talkies one afternoon, a friend and I made two lists. One was the traditional one, showing what breaker controls what device. The other way was a list by room showing what device is controlled by what breaker. I printed them out and put them in a plastic sheet cover that's held in place on the inside of the panel door with a magnet.

While I was doing it, I took cover plates off and used a Sharpie to mark each device with its appropriate breaker # (4R, 3L, whatever was correct). Then I put on those insulated covers and followed with the cover plates.

Now, I'm covered three ways: one, the traditional "this breaker controls..." two, room by room, this device is controlled by this breaker and three, each device says on it what breaker controls it. Plus I got a bit of insulation done at the same time.

Maybe I got a bit anal about the whole thing but that's me.

Jim

Old 09-11-05, 06:55 PM
Dorothy H
Visiting Guest
I need help too!!!

I have lost power to three out of four walls in one bedroom only. Lost power then is also in the adjoining bathroom on one wall. Curcuit breaker is not tripped and seems ok. Any suggestions? I have checked the light switch for power. It is hot, but no light. Bulb is ok. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-11-05, 07:08 PM
Dorothy,

Whenever a bathroom receptacle is mentioned as being without the immediate suspect is a tripped GFCI receptacle. This is because bathrooms were one of the first places in residences required to have GFCI protected receptacles.

If the bathroom doesn't have a GFCI receptacle, then look for one in the basement, garage, and even outside. In short, you should be looking at the other receptacles on the circuit, which you should know.