Adding switch and light to middle of run receptical

Old 09-11-05, 01:52 PM
Sennaspirit
Visiting Guest
Adding switch and light to middle of run receptical

Hello,
I'm trying to add a lighting fixture above a shelving unit. I have a receptical there (which I thought was an end of the run) which has power entering and exiting (middle of the run) and I want to grab power to add a switch and the light fixture.

I can't find the proper configuration for this set up.

The lines are 14 gauge 2 strand (Black, white and ground)

Any direct help is appreciated OR if anyone here knows of sites with really good schematics/illustrations (i've seen plenty of bad ones) that would be great too!

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by Sennaspirit; 09-11-05 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-05, 04:00 PM
Sennaspirit
Visiting Guest
Doesn't seem anyone has advice for this one. I'll hunt around and see if I can get this settled. I'll post back the configuration when I find it.

Old 09-11-05, 04:23 PM
What part do you need help with?

Run a new 14/2 cable into the receptacle box. Before disconnecting anything, carefully record all existing connections (in case something goes wrong). Disconnect all the existing wires from the receptacle, and then use a wire nut to connect the three black wires to a short black wire (a "pigtail"). Then connect the other end of the pigtail to either brass screw. Do the same with the white wires and a silver screw.

Run the new 14/2 from the receptacle box to the switch box. Run another new 14/2 from the switch box to the light. At the switch box, connect the two black wires to the switch, and the two white wires to each other.

At the light, connect wires by matching colors.

Of course, connect all bare and/or green grounding wires and green grounding screws in each box.

Old 09-12-05, 06:47 AM
Sennaspirit
Visiting Guest
Thanks John

John,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. After posting last night, I went back for another go at the problem.

I essentially did what you suggested, but since I had already removed the single box and installed a double, here's what I did:

I removed the receptical and tied off the hot and the neutrals wires(separately of course)

I then made pig tails of the hot and neutral for the receptical

I also made a pig tail from the hot wire to go to the switch.

Now that I had all the pig tails done, I joined the neutral line from the light fixture to the neutrals listed above and the hot wire from the fixture to the remaining switch terminal.

I tested it out and every thing works...the receptical is always hot (on) and the switch controls the light.

Now, even though it works, I do need to see if that is the proper way of doing it.

Last edited by Sennaspirit; 09-12-05 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-12-05, 07:36 AM
What you did sounds correct. As long as you made the connections properly and all within proper junction boxes you are fine. As a test, did you make sure that the wire nuts were tight, and that you pulled on each wire to make sure that it wasn't loose? Did you also properly connect up all the ground wires?