electrical wire and water pipe

Old 09-12-05, 04:48 AM
strong_ware
Visiting Guest
electrical wire and water pipe

I am in the middle of finishing my basement and found that a lot of the electical wires are so close, even attached to, the water pipes. Should I seperate them? is there any clearance requirements between water pipe and wire?

Thanks

Strong

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-05, 05:20 AM
There are no clearance issues to deal with, but wires should not be attached to the pipes. How are the wires attached?

Old 09-12-05, 10:10 AM
strong_ware
Visiting Guest
So you mean that is safe since there is no code requirement for this clearance.

The water (hot & cold) pipes are fixed in a wood beam, where the wires are also attached. They are so close and some contact each other (It looks to me like that the wires are attached to the pipes)

Strong

Old 09-12-05, 11:12 AM
It is hard for me to comment without seeing the actual setup.

The wires cannot be attached to the pipes. By this I mean that they cannot be supported by the pipes. They can't be tied to the pipes, they can't be taped to the pipes, they can't be suspended from the pipes.

They can be stapled to the side of the joist near the pipes, as long as they are not subject to damage from the pipes. I would think that a wire running over or right next to a clamp holding the pipes in place would be suspect.

As for the wires touching the pipes, I would change this. Cold water pipes get cold, and depending on the climate sweat. Hot water pipes get hot. While the cable insulation can handle some temperature changes, it cannot handle water.

I would move any sections of cable so that they are not touching the water pipes.

Old 09-13-05, 04:47 AM
If there is wiring attached to the water pipe, is it bare (no insulation) or have a green colored insulation, and is this point of attachment where the water pipes first enter the house? What I am getting at is, this connection might be the grounding electrode conductor. If not, then I agree with the others. about moving the wires away from the pipes.