recessed lighting in detached garage

Old 09-15-05, 12:34 PM
recessed lighting in detached garage

planning on installing some pot lights in my friends garage in the soffets(sp?),about 6 of them but was wondering about how you usually switch them?it is detached so i would think you would have a switch inside the garage right?you wouldnt go with a photocell,timer,etc...

cheers

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-05, 12:42 PM
Generally a switch is placed inside the door. Sometimes there may be two switches, such as one inside the overhead door as well.

Be very careful doing electrical work for someone else. You open yourself up to all sorts of liability, criminal and civil, should something go wrong.

Old 09-15-05, 12:46 PM
thanks for the info,i am a journeyman but do some side work as well on weekends but not much residential,mostly commercial

Old 09-15-05, 05:52 PM
Sparx,

IN regards to the switching, it is really not going to be any different than a commercial application on recess lights in that you simply need to determine where you would like to switch them on. Feed the switch box and then the recess cans.

Just be aware that being a journeyman does not reduce your liability on someone elses property....not preaching just wanted to make that clear.

In most cases as RAC said the switching for the recess lightning would take place at the enterance to the area....UNLESS they are accent recess cans which are only needed lets say when working on a certain area which in that case you may place the switch closer to the actual area.....

Hope this helps.....let us know how it goes !

Old 09-15-05, 06:07 PM
ya i should have been a bit more clear with my question.since they are basically accent lighting in the back yard where the garage is,the homeowner wanted them on along with her garden lighting and what not basically for looks so what i was suggesting was to wire them on a timer or photocell for instance so they could go on and off along with the rest of the lanscape lighting or whatever time frames she required without having to walk back to the garage,go in and turn off the switch!!

thanks again for the info guys

Old 09-15-05, 06:48 PM
Dude...it is very important to be clear about what you are asking because Recess Lights are totally different than lets say outside accent lights. You need to make sure you post the location of the lights in question, type of lights you are refering to.

Rac and myself are refering to recess lighting ( which usually gets a 75W ) bulb in a 6" can style but can be smaller in styles ( ie: 5" and 4" cans a well )

When we say Accent lighting INSIDE we mean over like sinks, wall art and so on...kitchen counters and the like....it has nothing to do with being in the yard.

Recess lights in general are cans located in the ceiling and provide down lighting......if you are refering to low voltage lighting or 120V outside lighting they are not really cans......

As for recess's on timers and photo cells...I would not suggest it but we would really need to know more details of where these lights are going...I assume by your response they are not in any way inside the actual garage area...is this correct?

Old 09-15-05, 09:52 PM
yes they are pot lights in the soffets of the detatched garage for no real purpose other than looks...bit of miscommunication here.. i'veinstalled recessed(we call them pot lights) hundreds of times in t-bar
ceilings,drywall,whatever but these are- in conjunction with some landscape lighting-just for appearance.Have you not seen this before?up here they are mounted like this all over the place...i was just asking on the method of switching them which is why i mentioned the photocell ,timer ideas.it's been figured out now anyways,a switch it is....keeping it simple!!