Need to extend 220v feed

Old 09-16-05, 11:20 AM
cycopath
Visiting Guest
Need to extend 220v feed

I need to move the subpanel in a home I'm remodeling. I'm trying to do this without tearing down drywall. I want to pull the 220v feed up into the attic and connect another 12ft or so of wire.

I plan on reconnecting the 8 circuits coming out of the panel with junction boxes.

A friend told me about some 220v connectors/clamps that are specifically used to connect two wires together. I can't find them online. Anyone know what they are called?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-05, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the wire gauge of the sub panel's feeder conductors (not branch circuit conductors)?

Old 09-16-05, 11:52 AM
cycopath
Visiting Guest
I don't want to misquote. I'd have to look tonight.

Old 09-16-05, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your friend was probably thinking of 'polaris' style connectors. These are insulated terminal blocks with room for quite large conductors. You strip the conductors to the correct length, push them into individual holes, and tighten a separate set screw for each conductor.

http://www.polarisconnectors.com/black.html

I'd strongly suggest that you go over the entire plan _in detail_ prior to proceeding or buying any materials.

When you move this subpanel, you will need to put splices in the feeder to the subpanel, and into every circuit that this subpanel serves. These splices need to be in suitable junction boxes, and the junction boxes need to remain accessible.

The junction boxes will also need to be large enough for the conductors; you should research 'box fill' calculations.

The net result is that you could move the subpanel, but be required to leave a junction box the size of the subpanel in its place, defeating the purpose of moving the panel in the first place.

There are many other details to consider; which doesn't mean that you shouldn't do this project, just that you should research it completely ahead of time.

Good luck!

-Jon