replacing a breaker??

Old 09-16-05, 03:07 PM
vguthrie
Visiting Guest
replacing a breaker??

So here is my situation. We moved into our first house a couple of months ago. The dryer came with the house and everytime i started it, it would flip the breaker. So i bought a new dryer. same thing happen. I had an electrician come out and said there was nothing wrong with the outlet or the breaker box, and he suggested that i call the power company. Called the power company and they ran a new line from the house to the converter box. My dryer still doesn't work. I called an appliance repair man, who said he has seen this situation several times and that i just need to replace the 30amp breaker. Called and electrician, and he laughed at me and told me it would be $40 just to come to the house. My mother says that they are easy to replace, and that i can do it myself? any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, it's almost fall and i won't be able to line dry our clothes. Thanks Vanessa

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-05, 03:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
First, you have to decide if you are comfortable working inside the breaker box near energized components that cannot be shut off. A breaker replacement is straightforward, but not a good first electrical project. It would be great if you had someone present to physically show you what is safe and unsafe inside the panel.

What size, brand and model main panel do you have? The newer design panels and enclosures are much easier and safer for a do-it-yourselfer to work in than the older panels. Plus, you will need this information to determine what type of replacement breaker to purchase.

Old 09-16-05, 03:32 PM
vguthrie
Visiting Guest
honestly, i don't know. The house is about 50 years old, and i'm pretty positive it has never been upgraded. i was told that it's possible that the breaker itself my just pull out, and i could then take it to home depot to find the replacement? what are your thoughts on that? is it ridiculous to call and electrician and ask for a quote on what it should cost to replace just one breaker? i heard that the part itself in only around $10?

Old 09-16-05, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
No, there is nothing wrong with asking an electrician to replace a single breaker. Any good electrician will respect your reluctance to assume the danger of working in a live box. I would expect that many electricians will not provide you with a written quote, but will want to do the work on-the-spot because of the simplicity (for the electrician) of the job. It's not worth two trips for him.

A common brand double pole breaker should run about $10 or less, but if you have a panel from a rare or out of business manufacturer the breaker could be more expensive and need to be special ordered. If you look at the writing on face of the breakers and on the door of the main panel, you will find the manufacturer and model number. You should find this information ahead of time because not all stores carry all brands of breakers, and some need to be special ordered.

Old 09-16-05, 03:56 PM
vguthrie
Visiting Guest
Thanks! i just talked to another electrician, as the first one laughed at me. He's thinking around $90. I might just wait for my mom to visit. Thanks.

Old 09-16-05, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can get a service call, replace the breaker in about 15 minutes, for under $100 plus parts, you should kiss this guy's feet! Professional technical help costs money. You have jumped to "replace the breaker" without any real troubleshooting. Could be lots of other problems.