I need some help installing lights...

Old 09-17-05, 01:11 PM
mousdahl
Visiting Guest
I need some help installing lights...

Electrical things usually come easilly to me, but I have tried everything...

I have a switch in a room that controls one outlet.

In the switch box, the is only one wire feeding into the box-white attached to one side of the switch and black to the other.

I want to tap into this circuit (at the switch box if possible) and wire four recessed lights in the same room. Ideally, the switch should control the lights and the original outlet should have constant power (I don't want a dimmer switch hooked up to the outlet). I have tried every possible idea I can think of to make this work. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-05, 01:47 PM
You have found a switch loop. You cannot tap this switch loop for power no matter what you do, as there is no neutral present in the box.

You can, however, do what you want, but you have to make a change at the receptacle.

What you need to do is to rewire the switched receptacle so that it is not switched, and so that the wires that go to the switch are full power, meaning a hot and a neutral wire.

Then at your switch connect disconnect the white wire as it will now be a neutral. Connect this white wire to the white wire that goes to the recessed lights. Connect the black wire that goes to the recessed lights to the other side of the switch.

Report back with the wiring at the receptacle if you don't know what to change. Before you do anything at the receptacle, make detailed notes as to what is connected where so that if you make a mistake we can correct it.