Wiring issues etc [Merged Threads]

Old 09-17-05, 02:55 PM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
Question Wiring issues

ok here is my question

i have a room which i am trying to rewire. the lights and plugs are all currently connected so that when you shut of the switch all the plugs and lights shut off i am not sure how to fix this. i want to set it up so that only the lights shuts off when you flip the switch could someone help thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-05, 03:02 PM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
Question New Problem

k i have another issue that i could use some help with i have 5 outlets that have no power going to them. i checked all the fuses and replaced all of them but nothing is working can somone throw me some ideas as to what it my be?

Old 09-17-05, 03:08 PM
You may or may not be able to completely change this. It all depends on the wiring.

You need to investigate the wiring at the switch, each receptacle and at the light. If you don;t know what you are looking at when you investigate this, report back and we can sort it out.

Do this with the power off. Tell us each and every cable that enters the box, each and every wire in that cable, and exactly how the wires are connected to anything (each other, the receptacle, the switch, etc.).

Old 09-17-05, 03:11 PM
When did this start happening? Did some event precipitate it? Has anyone been pounding nails, redecorating, running the vacuum cleaner?

What else is on the same fuse (if you don't know, shame on you, you should)? Where are these receptacles located? Have you reset any and all GFCI receptacles in the house?

Old 09-17-05, 03:33 PM
What kind of room is this? Bedroom? Bathroom? Living room?

It is unusual that all of the receptacles in a room are switched. Did you check both halves of each receptacle? Sometimes one half is switched and one half not. If you have this situation, you can get what you want easily.

Old 09-18-05, 05:38 AM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
yes i reset everything all thats on this fuse are those outlets which are spread through out the entire apartment we realized this after the tenant that was living there drpped off the face of the planet which was about 2-3 days ago and am not sure when this began

Old 09-18-05, 05:41 AM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
this is a bedroom and i am not 100 percent sure what is it that you want me to look for

Old 09-18-05, 05:52 AM
Please use punctuation in your posts. It makes them much easier to read and understand.

You just said a key work apartment. Call your landlord. Do nothing on your own. Make your landlord deal with the problem.

Old 09-18-05, 05:53 AM
If this is the same apartment that you mentioned in your other post, stop what you are doing. You cannot and should not touch the electrical in a leased home or apartment.

Old 09-18-05, 05:54 AM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
i am the landlord. the tenant hat lived there just uped and left and never said a thing about it.

Old 09-18-05, 05:55 AM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
sorry hat =that

Old 09-18-05, 05:56 AM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
this room is in my attic it is one of my kids rooms

Old 09-19-05, 07:00 AM
Take a lamp. Plug it into the top half of one outlet. Turn it on. Try the switch on and off to see if it controls the lamp. Now plug the lamp into the bottom half of the same outlet and try the switch again. Then move on to the next outlet along the wall. Continue until you have tested both halves of every outlet. A helper will make this test go faster. Then post back with what you find out.

Old 09-19-05, 07:03 AM
Remove the fuse. Then open up every box on the circuit and check for a failed connection.

Old 09-24-05, 04:59 PM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
could you be a little more spcific please

Old 09-24-05, 05:02 PM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
k i plugged the lamp into the sockets as suggested and whenever i flick the switch the power it shuts off all the power

Old 09-24-05, 05:13 PM
Now you need to examine the wiring at the switch and at each receptacle. Tell us all the wires at each location and how they are connected. Be as specific as possible.

Old 09-24-05, 05:14 PM
You need to open each and every junction box on the circuit. Somewhere a connection has failed. That means a wire is no longer connected. You need to find the wire that is not connected and fix it.

It might be a wire nut, it might be a screw terminal connection, or it might be a failed back stab connection. Pull on each wire in a wire nut. Move any and all back stab connections to screw terminals. Make sure all screw terminals are tight. If you find any loose wires you will have to figure out where they connect.

Old 09-25-05, 10:37 AM
mnzace
Visiting Guest
how would i open up my fuse box to check it out??

Old 09-25-05, 11:04 AM
Ok...ummm...I dont know how to say this nicely...but I will try my best.
If you dont know how to open a fuse box
If dont understand the circuit your working on
I would suggest you not touch anything.
I am not saying your not qualified, I am saying your posts indicate to me at least, that this project may be a little to big for you to tackle alone.
This is just my opinion of course, you are free to proceed as you see fit.
I just get an uneasy feeling when replys to posts have to be explained over and over.
Please for your own safety, call an electrician and have the situation checked out.

Old 09-25-05, 11:14 AM
I suggest you visit your home center or library and read several books on home wiring. You need a deeper understanding of how your electrical system works before proceeding. Mistakes here can be fatal, so you can't afford to make any.