Sub panel installation questions

Old 09-17-05, 06:04 PM
Ellwood
Visiting Guest
Sub panel installation questions

I am looking to install a subpanel in a newly build attached garage. Most likely will have it installed but was wondering. The garage is attached via a breezway. I will be running a #6 3 conductor wire plus ground. I understand that the neutral bus needs to be isolated in the subpanel. My question is back at the main in the house the neutral and ground are connected. Do the neutral and ground from the sub both connect to the neutral/ground bus at the main panel?

Also is it ok to run the wire through my breezeway ceiling without conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-05, 06:26 PM
Sub panel installation

frist ? both connect to the neutral/ground bus at the main panel (yes) second ? is it ok to run the wire through my breezeway ceiling without conduit the answer is no it has to be in conduit or seal tight you cant just lay hot wires with out a cover .

Old 09-17-05, 06:43 PM
It depends on the type of wire you are using.

You could use UF wire, in which case you could run it in the breezeway, as long as it is not subject to damage. If it is subject to possible damage, you could put it in conduit for the portion that is exposed.

Or you can use individual conductors in conduit. They must be in conduit the entire length of the run.

Old 09-17-05, 06:56 PM
Ellwood
Visiting Guest
The breezeway is completely enclosed (weathertight). It is actually insulated and heated. Does that make a difference on whether I need to use conduit. Regular insulated wires would still need to be in conduit?

Old 09-17-05, 07:06 PM
Wires must be protected. Protected is a subjective term.

Individual wires must always be in conduit or some other raceway, never loose.

Cable assemblies (UF-B or NM-B) which in your case would be 3 insulated conductors plus an uninsulated ground wire only need to be protected from accidental abuse. What this means is that if they are in an area where they might get damaged they must be protected.

I would think for aesthetics that you would want the cable hidden behind or inside something, and not out in the open for everyone to see.

It sounds to me like you could get away with NM-B type cable, as long as the cable is protected where exposed.

Old 09-18-05, 05:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Ellwood
Also is it ok to run the wire through my breezeway ceiling without conduit?
Sound to me like you want to run the wires in the ceiling. The space is finished you say. NM is fine and safe and legal. This is just like any other attic.