Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

last part of flood repair and general contractor bailed out!

Old 09-17-05, 11:16 PM
irod
Visiting Guest

we have a new double wall oven and need to run it to our new breaker, can we connect the wires that come out of the breaker to the oven or do we have to connect oven to a plug then outlet. we had the plug on and does not fit in cabinet depth by 3/4 inch because the plug is so fat. so now we have the plug off and the outlet and wanted to see if we can bypass the plug and outlet?? very frustrated and not sure what to do but afraid to wire it that way without advice.
hope you understand what I mean by all this not sure what the technical names are- our general contratcor has bailed on us and so we are stuck out in diy land!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 05:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this the only thing left to do? Way was the general contractor doing electrical work?
Regardless of any other advice I would suggest trying to get a real electrician to check and finish this work.

Wall ovens do not typically use receptacles and plugs. They are typically hard wired behind the appliance. You need a big box, like a 4-11/16" deep junction box, with a blank cover, they appropriate connectors for the cables, and CORRECT connectors for the wires. I strongly suggest you go to a real electrical supply house to get this material. A big box store will most likely not have (give you) the correct wire splices.

Old 09-18-05, 07:57 AM
irod
Visiting Guest
hard wire?

we had general contractor and his "guys" he uses and insuarance co. paid him already, now he is too busy to come and finish but we are sick of waiting ! he claims his guys are tied up on new job- baseboard, dishwasher, garbage disposel, sink and stove and oven- whatever- we can do the rest but just not as comfortable with this big 300 pound oven

so back to my wire question-
it came for hard wire but wires were bad on it- cut and crushed from sitting in garage for 3 months and being moved out of the way-- so we thought if we have to change them anyway we can put on a plug and outlet. so we went to home depot and they gave us all the equipment. came home wired it all in and lifted that big thing into place but now it is too deep for cabinet by 3/4 inch or so.
so now we want to just take the wire straight from the wall and into the oven back to reduce the size- wire being thinner than outlet and plug.
help

Old 09-18-05, 09:45 AM
We are back to this recommendation: take all the data plate info off the oven ( volts, amps ) ; take a picture of the wiring in the wall. Confirm if you can whether your house wires are aluminum or copper. Take all this information to an electrical supply house.

Old 09-18-05, 11:39 AM
Sue the contractor and your insurance company. The contractor should finish the job and your insurance company should not have paid him until he did.

Old 09-18-05, 12:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Really, I would hound this guy until he finishes. Too bad for him that he is on to new work. Finish what you started.
This is one of the main reasons I will not take final payment before the job is done. I think it is bad business to be ahead of the customer as far as payments go.