Computer monitor flickers when overhead lights are on

Old 09-18-05, 10:24 AM
BBWilson
Visiting Guest
Computer monitor flickers when overhead lights are on

When almost any of my homes overhead light are on my monitor flickers quite a bit. In my den where my computer lives I have a ceiling fan with a light kit. The ceiling fan can run and there is no problem, but when the lights are turned on the flickering begins. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 10:47 AM
Is the receptacle your computer plugs into properly grounded?

Old 09-18-05, 10:51 AM
BBWilson
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure, how do I tell?

Old 09-18-05, 10:53 AM
BBWilson
Visiting Guest
I don't think it is the plug as I've plugged my PC into other outlets in the house and it does the same thing.

Old 09-18-05, 11:15 AM
If you don't know if it's grounded, then why are you using it for a computer? You are risking damaging your computer if it's not properly grounded.

Use a receptacle tester and verify the receptacle. There are two types of testers. One plugs in and has a set of LEDs that indicate proper or improper wiring. The other has two leads and a small light. Use the leads between the hot lead and the neutral and between the hot lead and the ground.

Old 09-18-05, 11:45 AM
BBWilson
Visiting Guest
Good point, I'll test the receptacle. It does seem strange that all receptacles in the house would be incorrectly wired but I'll check. My home is about 20 years old so it's not a real old house. Any clue what it might be if the receptacles are wired correctly?

Old 09-18-05, 11:47 AM
Nobody said anything about incorrectly wired receptacles. A missing ground does not mean that the receptacles are improperly wired.

What type of light is this?

Old 09-18-05, 12:01 PM
BBWilson
Visiting Guest
It flickers when several ceiling lights throughout the house are on. The vary, one is a light kit attached to a ceiling fan. Another is a basic light over the dining table, even the entryway light does it. I think the lights that do it may all be connected or something.

Old 09-18-05, 12:12 PM
What kind of lights are they? Are they all on the same circuit?

Old 09-18-05, 12:23 PM
BBWilson
Visiting Guest
One is a regular 100 Watt light fixture, the other light has those candle type bulbs. They are not all on the same circuit. And none of the lights are on the same circuit as my PC.

Old 09-18-05, 12:47 PM
You still haven't answered my question. Let me try it differently. Are they incandescent lights? Fluorescent lights? Halogen lights?

Have you experienced this problem with any other monitor? have you tried another monitor?

A 20 year old house should be wired with grounds. However, it is possible that it is not.

Verify proper grounding and try a different monitor.

Old 09-18-05, 01:57 PM
One more suggestion...

After you've followed all the advice on checking your home for proper circuitry and made any required changes, get a good quality surge supressor. Not a $5.00 plastic strip, but a true surge supressor w/high clamping force. There's no substitute for proper wiring, but I have been well paid to resolve similar issues in corporations where line interference was minimized or reduced w/the supressor (sometimes a line conditioner instead). While not their true intended purpose, the circuitry in a good supressor filters much line noise and eliminates many annoyances.

Old 09-18-05, 01:58 PM
BBWilson
Visiting Guest
Sorry, they are incandescent lights. Weird thing is I also have a fluorescent light in the kitchen and it does not make the monitor flicker. I'll check the ground. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-19-05, 08:44 AM
A less likely culprit (but still possible) is a mis-wired circuit which has the lights on them causing the flicker is creating a electro-magnetic field which causes CRT (big bulky) monitors to flicker. But if you have a flat panel LCD monitor and it is flickering, then this is not your problem. I would try all of the things already mentioned here, but if the problem still persists, and if you have a CRT monitor, see if you can somehow get your hands on a flat panel monitor and see if you still get the flicker.

Dave