Shock from Gas tank

Old 09-18-05, 02:30 PM
Shock from Gas tank

I was at my cabin today. I went to turn off the gas tank to shut everything down for the weekend. I was barefooted when I touched the knob it shocked me. The shock was medium but startling. Is it possible to receive a shock from the ground (meaning the ground (dirt)) The grounding rod is just a couple of feet from the gas tank. The ground stays damp there a lot and I was wondering if its common to receive a slight shock because of the damp ground, and being barefooted, just because the gas tank is sitting on the ground near the ground rod? As always thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 05:52 PM
More likely to be a problem with one of the gas appliances not being grounded properly.

Old 09-19-05, 06:22 AM
Shock from Gas tank

Thanks, my next question is how do I ground the gas appliances? I have a gas stove and gas firelogs. Both were installed by the gas company. Or how do I tell if they are properly grounded? Taking the opinion that it may not be grounded properly, I was wondering if you meant by an appliance not being grounded, does the appliance itself have to be grounded by a seperate ground wire, or does the GFI on the circuit take care of the ground. Thanks

Last edited by PopPop; 09-19-05 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Additional question