240 V steam generator installation -HELP!

Old 09-18-05, 06:16 PM
andrei
Visiting Guest
240 V steam generator installation -HELP!

Hi,
I have purchased a 240 V 35A (7kW) steam generator. I just got the unit and it has 3 *very short* wires for connecting power (black, black and green).
My questions:
1. How should I connect these wires to the new line that I ran from the breaker box? Since the wires are so short how can I make the connection in a junction box? Further, the wires are not covered by a sheath so it seems weird to just connect them and leave them separate. Also, they are too short to attach them to a plug (for which I suppose I could set up a receptacle). Whic brings me to my next question...
2. I ran 8-2 NM-B cable rated for 700 Watts. I know it'll handle the load, but it seems that most code states that I need 2 wires hot, 1 wire neutral and 1 wire ground (ie., 4 wires). Is there a way to use the 8-2 (3 wires) and stay within code? After all, the generator has 3 wires and so does the 8-2 NM cable... (Well, the fact is I'm hoping that I didn't goof up and don't need to run new cable thru the whole house)...

Thanks in advance!
andrei

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
8/2 is fine for 7k watts. This is not 35 amps, it is just under 30 amps @ 240v.

What codes are you reading that say you need 4-wires for this installation. If it is straight 240v no neutral is needed. Just two hots and a ground, just like what is coming out of the unit. 8/2 is correct.

From your description it seems the wire is sticking out of a hole of some sort. Is there a splice box behind this hole? That would be typical, you run flex to the unit from a junction box and make the splices inside the unit. Some units have a 4"sq box mounted right on the unit.

You also need a disconnect of some sort near the unit. Unless the breaker panel is in sight.