Connecting 2 nearby switch or J boxes?

Old 09-19-05, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Connecting 2 nearby switch or J boxes?

What is the correct way to connect 2 nearby switch boxes? What I mean is...

I have a situation where a new circuit would work out well if 2 adjoining rooms are tied together. The simplest way to do this is bring power from room A's wall switch to room B's wall switch. They are only inches apart, back-to-back in the same wall, facing into each one's respective room. Is a short jumper wire all that's needed? Is it allowed? Should it be routed any special way?

In our laundry there are two seperate switch boxes in the same stud cavity and they are connected simply by a loop of wire. Is that the right way?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-05, 05:28 AM
More information is needed. Whether you can go from one switch box to another depends on how the rooms are wired. How are these rooms presently wired, and why do you need to connect them together? What wires are already present in each switch box?

Old 09-20-05, 08:10 AM
I don't know how this affects my question but...

These are for ceiling lights switched from a wall switch, each in adjoining rooms sharing a common wall. The first room has a single switch for the ceiling light, the second is a 3-way with another switch on the other side of the room. Logistically it's very simple to bring the power right up into the common wall to one switch box. I then want to bridge over to the other box which is one of 2 3-way switches. I don't want to bring power to the fixtures first, then branch to the switches. No.

My question is: does code (or standard practices) allow me to simply put a 12" wire loop in the wall cavity between the two boxes to share the circuit?

It seems silly to me to run up the wall to a J box and then back down to the other switch or something like that...

Thanks.

Old 09-20-05, 08:24 AM
Now I understand the setup.

Yes, you an bring a wire up to the first switch box. From there you can run two wires, one to the fan in that room and the other to the other junction box to supply power for that fan.

Old 09-20-05, 08:26 AM
Do this exactly as you would if the boxes were ten feet apart, but use a shorter cable. There are not different solutions for boxes close together and boxes farther apart.

Old 09-20-05, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys.

I just wanted to be sure there were no quirks in the code about this, ya know for things like protection from nails for picture hanging or whatever...