Wiring safety question

Old 09-20-05, 12:37 PM
clm103101
Visiting Guest
Wiring safety question

I have a home built in the 1960's with baseboard heaters & thermostats installed. These have been removed, but the wires were capped and left in the holes left in the walls. I want to patch the holes in the walls and paint. Is this OK or should the wires be removed?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-05, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When the heaters and thermostats were removed the other end of the wires should have been removed from the panel. As long as the wires have been disconnected from the breakers (or fuses) and removed from the panel box, it is okay for them to remain in the walls.

Old 09-20-05, 10:49 PM
If you intent to patch over the hole, the wiring ther should be totally removed.

Old 09-21-05, 06:28 AM
All wiring that is part of an electrical system must be properly insulated, and terminated in suitable _accessible_ junction boxes. If a particular section of wire is part of your electrical system, then you cannot remove the junction box or patch over it.

IMHO any length of wire that is not at all connected to the electrical system is _not_ part of the electrical system.

In particular, if both ends of a length of wire are disconnected from junction boxes, then IMHO that length of wire can remain buried in the wall with no junction boxes, with the holes patched over.

I would consider a length of wire that connects to a junction box or to the panel to be part of the electrical system, since it could be easily wire-nutted back into the circuit. Thus my opinion is that if you want to abandon a wire in the walls, you must disconnect it at both ends.

The original poster might want to consider _not_ removing these wires, but instead leaving them in place, in their junction boxes, with unobtrusive blank covers on the junction boxes. This would leave valuable wiring available for future expansion. This wiring could be used, for example, to run a new receptacle circuit into a room that was overloaded.

-Jon

Old 09-21-05, 09:00 AM
If at all possible, I would remove them to avoid any confusion in future years. If you can't remove them, then at least cut the wire back away from the eletrical panel so that the wire cannot be accidently connected to the panel thereby making it a live wire. You never know what someone will do 10-15-20 years down the road.