help in grounding a converted 120v outlet

Old 09-20-05, 02:13 PM
jdu4df
Visiting Guest
help in grounding a converted 120v outlet

Hi! I need help in the conversion of a 240v outlet to an extension of 120v outlet.

I thought of using the neutral / grounded wire and one of the hot wires to obtain the 120v. Yet my question is -can I connect the grounding to the same neutral return line? or should I connect the grounding to a near copper water pipe? [this second solution seems more elegant, yet it is about the same since the 240v neutral wire is also connected to the water supply further up].

Any comments? advice? it would be greatly appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-05, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You cannot use either of the approaches that you suggest.

Please describe the 240V line that you are converting; there may be additional options. What sort of cable are the wires in, or are the wires in conduit?

If you need to run a new ground wire, you must run the wire back to your panel or to the grounding electrode conductor; you can't simply use a water pipe.

Your electrical system is _bonded_ to your water system to protect you from shocks from the water system, and also to use underground water pipe as a grounding electrode. But this doesn't mean that the water pipes are considered proper equipment grounding conductors. The _grounded_ conductor (neutral) is connected to the electrical ground bus at the panel, however it is a current carrying conductor. An equipment grounding conductor must not carry current in normal operation.

-Jon