Next Step Planning

Old 09-20-05, 01:17 PM
Next Step Planning

I am planning to install a 125 amp subpanel in the garage. My main panel is full.

The subpanel will be fed from a 100 amp breaker in the main.

I will install 2 breakers in the subpanel. One for an attic ventalator (20 amp) and one for wall outlets over a workbench (20 amp).

I would ultimately install a spa at the rear of our home. It would be 170 feet from the subpanel. The spa will need a dedicated 50 amp GFCI. I would like to have at least one other circut for a low voltage landscape lighting transformer.

What size breaker should be in the subpanel to provide power to the 50 amp GFCI and the 20 amp landscaping circuit.

What size wire should I plan on using. It will need to be installed in conduit and buried. 3 conductors and a covered ground, correct?

Home Depot sells a box with the 50 amp GFCi and room for 4 circuits. I believe it is a 125 amp panel. Cost is around $80.00.

Once I get the panel in place, I will need a service disconnect. It is my understanding it has to be in view of the electrical panel in the spa.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-05, 06:25 PM
How far apart will the two panels be? Will they be in the same structure or separate structures?

Old 09-21-05, 06:55 AM
The subpanel is located approximately 2 feet from the main panel.

The spa will be located at the rear of the home off the master bedroom. The master bedroom is approximate 170 feet from the subpanel. I will need to run the conductors underground as this is the shortest route. There is a fire wall between the garage and the main living area of the home. This will prevent me from running the conductors in the attic.

The spa electrical panel will be attached to the same structure as the main panel. It will be attached on an exterior wall of the master bedroom and the spa will be located on a concrete pad about 10 feet from the wall.

Old 09-21-05, 09:45 AM
I prefer to keep the large loads on the main panel. So if the sub is only two feet from the main, you can probably move a few small circuits from the main to the sub in order to make room for new large loads (such as your spa) in the main.

Old 09-21-05, 12:43 PM
OK, I'll make room in my main panel for the breaker that will feed the spa panel.

Does it matter if it is at the top of the panel, near the main feed, or at the bottom of the panel.

What size breaker should I plan on to feed the the spa panel. It will be 170 feet away from the main panel. The spa panel at Home Depot is 125 amp. It has a 50 amp GFI installed and room for a couple of circuits. I plan on installing low voltage landscaping transformer.

Since it is 170 feet from the main panel what size conductor should I plan on using.

I hope I'm asking all the right questions.

Old 09-21-05, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by gmasingale
Does it matter if it is at the top of the panel, near the main feed, or at the bottom of the panel.
It doesn't matter.

What size breaker should I plan on to feed the the spa panel.
Most spas require 50A, some require 60A. You can't really be sure until you pick out a specific unit. If you plan on running wire at this time, use #6 as it will be ok up to 60A. Don't bother buying the breaker until you buy the spa so you don't waste your money.

If you are asking about the feeder to the subpanel, I would recommend a 100A breaker with #3 individual copper conductors; or a 125A breaker with #1 individual copper conductors in conduit of course.

Since it is 170 feet from the main panel what size conductor should I plan on using.
Using #6 will result in 3.5% voltage drop for 240V @ 50A over 170 ft, which is acceptable in my opinion.

Old 09-21-05, 01:28 PM
OK, I'll make room in my main panel for the breaker that will feed the spa panel.

What size breaker should I plan on to feed the the spa panel. It will be 170 feet away from the main panel. The spa panel at Home Depot is 125 amp. It has a 50 amp GFI installed and room for a couple of circuits. I plan on installing low voltage landscaping transformer.

I hope I'm asking all the right questions.

Old 09-23-05, 09:51 AM
Previous Post Lost

Did my previous post get lost in the shuffle?

Old 09-23-05, 09:59 AM
What's wrong with the answer that ibpooks provided?

Old 09-23-05, 02:53 PM
Nothing, the sun must've gotten in my eyes. I just missed the post.

Sorry