Fridge not Grounded

Old 09-21-05, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fridge not Grounded

Does anyone know if there's any reason a fridge would not work properly if not grounded? I remodel kitchens for a major company. We always change the counter outlets to GFCI's. Normally, we don't change the fridge outlet or any outlets not directly above the counters. Anyway, I have a customer that says his fridge is not working. A tech came out and said it's because it's not grounded. The customer hooked up the fridge with an extension cord to another outlet and he says it works fine. I'm gonna go over today and see if the outlet is bad, or if there's a loose wire. But I have not heard of a fridge not working because of no ground. I always make sure the disposal, stove, etc. is grounded, but I was never concerned about the fridge, am I wrong?

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-05, 07:15 AM
Grounding should not make any appliance work. It does, however, make it safer, so if there's a grounding prong on the refrigerator, it should always be connected to a properly grounded receptacle. If this refrigerator only works when the ground is connected, there is an internal wiring problem that MUST be corrected for safety sake.

Doug M.

Old 09-21-05, 07:16 AM
I have never heard of a refrigerator (or any appliance for that matter) not working because it is not grounded. It's unsafe to have them not grounded, but they should still work. I would look for some other problem.

However, depending on the extent of the kitchen remodeling, it would be necessary to do much more than you are saying you do. Simply installing GFCIs is not enough. Verifying that there are two circuits, that improper receptacles and lights are not on those circuits, etc. would also be required. But it all depends on the extent of the remodeling.

Old 09-21-05, 07:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Guys,
That's what I thought, the fridge should work. I'll go over there and test the outlet. As far as the scope of work, it's beyond my control. Like I said we add GFCI's and maybe run an outlet off an existing circuit and that's about it. As far as running new circuits, we only do it for new microwave combos, new dishwashers and new disposals, if there were no dedicated circuits installed.

Thanks, Brian