Reasonable Price?

Old 09-21-05, 08:52 AM
firefly11
Visiting Guest
Reasonable Price?

What's a reasonable price for a electrician to charge for replacing 4 singlepole light switches with 4 dimmer switches (no major rewiring)?

I'm not allowed to do it myself...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-05, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not allowed, by who??? Your wife/husband? If so, I would do it when she is at work and then tell her the guy did it for free as it only took him a few minutes.

This is one of the simplest eletrical procedures and would take less than 30 minutes for all 4 (even if you did it yourself). Two wires to disconnect, two wires to connect.

The minimum would be between $65-100.

Old 09-21-05, 09:31 AM
Also make sure power is off to that circuit. Dimmers do NOT like being connected to a live load. It is easy to damage one doing that.

Old 09-21-05, 09:47 AM
The price mentioned ($65 -$100) does not include the cost of the dimmers. There are all types and styles of dimmers, and they come in various power ratings. The least expensive dimmers start at around $15. Prices go up and up. If you are calling an electrician and asking for quotes make sure that you tell him or her the style of dimmer you want, and provide information on the lighting (wattage, bulb style, etc) or other load be controlled. The more information you provide the better off you will be.