Service Entance Wiring

Old 09-21-05, 04:16 PM
Service Entance Wiring

Hi... Can someone tell me why my service entrance cable has only 3 wires? (2 hot and one bare ground) while all other branch circuits have a ground AND a neutral in addition to the hot wire(s). Also, why are the two hot wires on the service entrance cable NOT color coded (red and black) like other double pole breakers?

Thank you very much in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-05, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mwarney
Can someone tell me why my service entrance cable has only 3 wires? (2 hot and one bare ground) while all other branch circuits have a ground AND a neutral in addition to the hot wire(s).
Because with the main cable entering the house the neutral and ground are bonded together, or as in this case they are the same wire. This is the only time this is done.

Originally Posted by mwarney
Also, why are the two hot wires on the service entrance cable NOT color coded (red and black) like other double pole breakers?
Because they don't have to be. They can be ANY two (or the same) colors except white, grey or green. The only reason you see different colors on branch circuits is that is the way the cable is made. Cables are made for many different purposes so the wires are all different colors for identification purposes.

Old 09-21-05, 05:02 PM
Thank You

So if I understand correctly, it doesn't make any difference which hot wire goes to which terminal on the main breaker? Hence no need to color code?

Old 09-21-05, 05:14 PM
In a way yes. In the case of the SE cable it really does not matter at all which leg goes to which terminal. IN many cases now we are even getting SE in black and red coatings but in most cases they are both black coatings.

Now do not get that confused ANYWHERE else..........

Old 09-21-05, 05:22 PM
Thank You

Thank you both very much for the prompt replies!!! I really appreciate the education!