Another hidden wire/box question...

Old 09-21-05, 10:13 PM
Question Another hidden wire/box question...

Adding and changing circuits in our renovation, I've determined that a light fed by outlets would be better on a new circuit. The outlet that feeds the light switch (in the next room) is under a window, so the wire must go through some studs horizontally and then make its way up through the attic and over.

I won't need this wire any more w/the new circuit so how best to be rid of it without destroying perfect drywall or doing damage to the feeder wire that must run along with it? The wire is 14-2 from the late sixties so it's the type of Romex w/plastic insulated wire in a blue/green cloth(?) outer skin. I'm concerned with yanking it because that cloth(?) is fragile and I don't want to damge it on the feeder...

I thought of terminating in a J box in the attic or disconnecting from the outlet box and leaving it, but don't know what the inspector will think and those ideas seem sloppy.

BTW - what is this cloth type Romex called?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-05, 05:25 AM
Either of those solutions is fine. It is perfectly acceptable to abandon a wire by cutting and pushing both ends out of and away from junction boxes. It is also acceptable to terminate a wire in a junction box, as long as the box is permanently accessible.