Wiring a two-pole electric heater

Old 09-22-05, 07:45 AM
tonydunne
Visiting Guest
Wiring a two-pole electric heater

How is it done?? Any help would be appreciated. I have a large heater in my kitchen, with a second heater in the porch that runs off the same circuit. I bought the kitchen heater new to replace an exisiting one that did not work.

Not sure if the original one was wired properly cause it burned out.

The replacement heater that I wired in the same manner did not give off adequate heat and recently there was smoke coming from it.

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-05, 07:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We need a lot more information to effectively help you. Start with the brand name and model number and type of the heater(s) in question. Please describe the electrical requirements of the heater including volts and amps or watts. Describe how you wired it up including what colors of wire you connected and where. How was the old one hooked up? Also describe the circuit you wired it to including wire gauge, breaker size, number and colors of wires, etc.

As a safety measure, switch off the breaker of any heaters that are smoking right away.

Old 09-22-05, 08:07 AM
I really hope that you didn't just blindly hook up this heater without knowing anything about the circuit you connected it to or the heater itself. That would have been unwise.

Is the circuit a 120 volt circuit or a 240 volt circuit? What are the power requirements of the heater? Connecting the heater to the wrong voltage is sure to cause problems, like a possible fire at worst or inadequate heat at the least.

Is the circuit properly grounded? Using an ungrounded circuit is likely to cause an unsafe situation.