can't get 2nd switch to work proper :wall:

Old 09-22-05, 11:55 PM
penguingenius
Visiting Guest
can't get 2nd switch to work proper :wall:

Hi,

This should have been an easy job, I have a switch in my rear hallway that is fed from the 2nd hallway light itself (laundry room which is just the back of the hallway and was converted at some point into a laundry area and doesn't have walls or receptacles except for the mandatory dedicated 20 amp receptacle, the rest of the hallway has no receptacles at all to tie into either btw ). I then put in a double gangbox because I need to add an outside motion sensing light for security after being broke into for my medications 3 times...I'm a 100% disabled Veteran...currently there is no back outside light....so anyways I bought the gangbox and bought 2 new single pole levitron pro switches, if I run the black to the top of the first switch and white to the bottom the 2nd inside hallway light works just fine, then what I did is take it apart again, pigtail the incoming black wire from the light and ran it to the top brass on both switch's, then on the second switch I put the black wire for the motion sensor run on the silver lead and used pigtail system for the grounds and twisted the whites together....some other important info is this place has been rewired in the past before I bought it, the bath, second bedroom, hallway, laundry room switches, lights and receptacles all run off this one circuit currently until I can afford a contractor to come in and rewire the whole place properly, but back to the main problem with this second switch, when I put the fuse back in place the first hallway switch and light worked, the bathroom and second bedroom worked fine, but the switches that matter in what is the laundry room... both were turned on and the 2nd hallway light in the laundry room that powers the switches here started blinking with each click of the switch on the motion sensor, the light in the motion sensor doesn't light up, if I turn offf the second switch it stops but no inside light either, if I turn off the first switch but not the second it continues on with the blinking on the inside light with each click of the motion sensor switch outside.

Can somebody please explain to me my taboo with these switches so I can move on to bigger and greater projects such as winter coming on in a few weeks where I live and the need to get 2 more windows done but each day I fight this takes up a day I could be working on the windows.

After that comes relacing the 10/10 fused box with a 20/20 circuit breaker box and then hiring somebody brave enough to rewire this place and at that point they can straighten out so that each room has it's own circuits, 3 way switches in the hallway for the interior lights and addition of receptacles and so forth but this project is a priority as I promised the VA I would have as much security measures as I can get into place done ASAP so they can feel more secure about the meds they are giving me.

Thanks for any help in advance

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-05, 04:25 AM
Where did you connect the black and white wires at the switch you attempted to get power from? What are ALL the wires in that box?

Old 09-23-05, 06:14 AM
penguingenius
Visiting Guest
the only original wires coming into the box came from the 2nd hallyway light but now I have that set of wires plus the wires for the new outside light, the way I wired it up, the black wire from the original source is pigtailed now and goes to the top screw on each switch, the whites are twisted together and don't go to any switches, before any work the old single pole the black wire came from the same source the 2nd light and went to the top screw white to the bottom.

Old 09-23-05, 06:29 AM
You don't have a neutral here. You can't make this work without a neutral. You need to find another source for power.