Electrical Panel Requirements?

Old 09-24-05, 07:00 AM
nsbrobert
Visiting Guest
Electrical Panel Requirements?

I am going to be building a 1400 sq. ft. house with a laundry room and garage. What is the typical size panel box I will need. Will a 200 amp. box be enough. There will be no pool. I will have a water well pump, all the standard appliances, and central a/c and heat. also, what is the wire size based on breaker size for standard outlets? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-05, 07:13 AM
For a house that size with A/C, 200A service is very typical, at least they are in Las Vegas, where A/C usage is extreme.

Old 09-24-05, 07:19 AM
You haven't provided enough information yet.

Gas heat? Electric heat? Gas water heater? Electric water heater? Gas dryer? Electric dryer? Attached garage? Detached garage? Do you plan on running any other large loads, such as air compressor, tools, welder, etc.?

1400 square feet is not large.

200 amp is usually the minimum size that the electric company would provide for. You might want to consider 400 amp, especially if you plan on adding any of those large loads in the future.

For regular branch circuits, you can run 15 or 20 amp circuits (except for certain circuits that must be 20 amp), however I would not run less than 20 amp circuits for anything, as it's just easier. 20 amp circuits require 12 gage copper wire. The exact type of devices for the other loads will determine their wire size.

If you have any inkling of doing this yourself, then start reading. Good books on home wiring will answer all the questions you have asked and then some.

Old 09-24-05, 08:01 AM
nsbrobert
Visiting Guest
I will be using electric water heater, dryer, detached garage with small work shop. No gas appliances except for a gas fire place.

Old 09-24-05, 08:21 AM
You haven't said anything about heat. Electric heat or something else?

You will probably want a sub panel in the garage. The size of that sub panel will be based on what you intend to do in the workshop. In other words, the type of tools you want to run. A 60 amp sub panel (probably a 100 amp panel, fed with a 60 amp breaker) may be appropriate, or depending on the distance, you may want a full 100 amp sub panel.

Based on all you have said, a 400 amp service may not be too much.

Old 09-24-05, 11:14 AM
nsbrobert
Visiting Guest
I will be having electric heat in the house. The garage will just be running standard power tools and lights. Do you reccomend using 20amp breakers with 12 ga wire for all the outlets thruout the house? Other than for the dryer and stove and I assume water heater which all will be 220. Thank you for your comments.

Old 09-24-05, 11:20 AM
Yes, I suggest nothing but 20 amp circuits for the 120 volt circuits.

Your 240 volt circuits will vary. Electric baseboard heating might have some 20 amp runs, but could be 30 or even 40 amp runs. The dryer will need 30 amps. The stove will need 40 or 50 amps.

Again, please read up on this. There are very specific requirements for circuits to kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry, just to name a few.

Old 09-24-05, 11:30 AM
nsbrobert
Visiting Guest
Thank you Bob for all your help. Yes I do have some books I have bought and I have done lots of electrical work but not actually wiring a new house before. I will be having a electrician install my panel and the outlest that have more than 120 going to them just to be safe in the long run. I just had these questions and wanted to make sure I was on the right path. Have a great day.