GFCI trips by itself

Old 09-24-05, 07:47 AM
miccar
Visiting Guest
GFCI trips by itself

I installed a new hot tub with a 50A service. The GFCI kept tripping so I disconnected all three wires going to the hot tub and left only the coiled white wire connected to the neutral buss. The GFCI still trips. Thinking it was a faulty GFCI, I replaced it but to no avail IT still keeps tripping. The neutral buss is floating and ground wires are connected to a box mounted strip.

What can I do to remedy this situation.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-05, 07:49 AM
This is a GFCI breaker? And you have nothing connected to the load terminals of the breaker?

Old 09-24-05, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by miccar
I installed a new hot tub with a 50A service. The GFCI kept tripping so I disconnected all three wires going to the hot tub and left only the coiled white wire connected to the neutral buss. The GFCI still trips. Thinking it was a faulty GFCI, I replaced it but to no avail IT still keeps tripping. The neutral buss is floating and ground wires are connected to a box mounted strip.

What can I do to remedy this situation.
This sounds like a gfci spa panel you are using as your required disconnect. If the neutral is floating that is your problem. You need a neutral run from the main house panel to the gfci. Like this....http://www.emeraldspa.com/wire.htm

If this is a 220 hot tub you would have four wires going to the spa...ie...hot,hot, neutral and ground. This is of course if this spa has 120 volt loads. If it doesnt the neutral isnt required from the gfci to the spa. You must have it from the main panel in the house to the spa panel regardless.