6 Gauge for 60 amp

Old 09-25-05, 01:40 PM
bigblock
Visiting Guest
6 Gauge for 60 amp

How can I be sure 6 gauge wire will work okay with a 60 amp feeder?

Is the temperature rating dependant on both wire rating and termination ratings?

If I get 75C terminals, I can use the 75C column which should be good for 65Amps? Please let me know if this is correct

Also, I heard I cannot use a black wire and label it green with marking tape since it's a 60Amp breaker. Is this true?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-05, 02:46 PM
A green wire can only be GROUND. Why do you need to tape a black wire as green? It is acceptable to tape a white wire as hot; I do not know if you can legally tape a black wire green., but it is not a good idea in any case. Someone will tell us.

Old 09-25-05, 03:03 PM
Unless you have some derating conditions (e.g., excessive ambient heat, more than three current-carrying conductors in the same raceway), #6 is always good for a 60-amp breaker, even if you do have to use the 60-degree column.

It is not acceptable to reidentify a #6 black wire as a grounding conductor.

Old 09-25-05, 03:25 PM
bigblock
Visiting Guest
I'm running a panel to the garage above ground and it gets pretty hot here. So, Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the tip about the green wire. Somebody told me it was okay to label the black wire, green.

I'm glad I waited.

Thanks again...

Old 09-25-05, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's got nothing to do with black to green or white to yellow or whatever. It has to do with the size of the wire where re-marking is concerned.

Old 09-25-05, 06:47 PM
bigblock
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
It's got nothing to do with black to green or white to yellow or whatever. It has to do with the size of the wire where re-marking is concerned.
Good to know. Thanks again for the help.

I'm saving over $3000 running this panel my self. Not sure why they quoted $3200 to run 100 ft of cable in 1" conduit. For under $300, I have been able to get all the parts/cable. My time is free, their time is expensive but they also know all the codes.

Old 09-25-05, 07:10 PM
Actually, the rule is for grounded conductors #6 and smaller, and grounding conductors #8 and smaller.
Basically,#4 and larger is only generally available in black.

The applicable sections are 200.6 & 250.119

Old 09-25-05, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by bigblock
My time is free...
You're wrong. Your time is NOT free. You may not know how much your time is worth, or how to computer how much it's worth, but it is NOT free.

Old 09-25-05, 10:53 PM
Conductors are identified by their color.

Ungrounded conductors of any size can be remarked with any color other than white, gray or green.

A white conductor of any size can be remarked as an ungrounded conductor.

The size of the wire comes in when remarking conductors as grounding or grounded conductors.

Green conductors can never be remarked as a grounded or ungrounded conductor.

Both color and size need to be considered when remarking.

Actually, the rule is for grounded conductors #6 and smaller, and grounding conductors #8 and smaller.
Basically,#4 and larger is only generally available in black.

The applicable sections are 200.6 & 250.119
The provisions allowing for remarking in both section 200.6 (Means of Identifying Grounded Conductors) and 250.119 (Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors) are for conductors larger than 6 AWG.

Originally Posted by racraft
You're wrong. Your time is NOT free. You may not know how much your time is worth, or how to computer how much it's worth, but it is NOT free.
Racraft, what if he does it on his “free time”?
Can you place a value on his time or is that up to him?
Your time is your own, whether you spend it sleeping or earning $250. per hr., no matter what you’re doing your spending time.
Sometimes you can spend time without spending money.

Old 09-26-05, 04:55 AM
Thank you juhl for the lesson. I see the internet correction police were out last night.
Sorry for the mistake in writing this. Yes, I wrote it wrong but I was thinking it correctly. I should have just copied it verse from the book so no one could catch a mistake in typing.

Old 09-27-05, 08:09 AM
Thank you juhl for the lesson. I see the internet correction police were out last night.
Sorry for the mistake in writing this. Yes, I wrote it wrong but I was thinking it correctly. I should have just copied it verse from the book so no one could catch a mistake in typing.
I think anyone who has followed your posts over the many months knew what you meant.

Hey... at least you werent accused of working at a home center