No access to Circuit Breaker

Old 09-25-05, 02:25 PM
grapes12345
Visiting Guest
Smile No access to Circuit Breaker

Hi...I'd like to remove a bathroom cabinet that contains a lighted fixture. I don't have access to the circuit breaker. If I turn off the wall light switch tha controls it, can I remove it safely? Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-05, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. Why don't you have access to a circuit breaker?

2. A switch should not be considered as a completely safe method of deeinergizing a fixture. If you do it this way, treat all wires as if they might be live. Do not touch with bare hands, do not touch two wires together, get it disconnected and wire nuts on the bare ends promptly.

Old 09-25-05, 02:42 PM
grapes12345
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by 594tough
1. Why don't you have access to a circuit breaker?

2. A switch should not be considered as a completely safe method of deeinergizing a fixture. If you do it this way, treat all wires as if they might be live. Do not touch with bare hands, do not touch two wires together, get it disconnected and wire nuts on the bare ends promptly.

Thanks...I don't have access, because I'm renting and there are some things in the way of the box. I was looking to keep this fairly simple and I really want to get it done. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Old 09-25-05, 02:49 PM
Well, good luck and be careful. By the way, it is not legal to have "things in the way of the box". It must be accessible at all times. If this is your fault, then tsk.tsk! If it is the landlords fault, you should make him fix it.

Old 09-25-05, 02:57 PM
"Some things in the way" is completely unacceptable. It's a major safety issue. Correct this situation ASAP.

Old 09-25-05, 03:44 PM
grapes12345
Visiting Guest
It's all my fault!!!

I just moved in and also had back surgery recently...the things that are blocking it are mine. Easily moved by a normal human and hopefully by me soon. I just got tired of looking at the grungy old medicine chest and wanted it gone! I improvised...I tore the cheap metal cabinet apart with pliers, so now all that remains is the light fixture...

Thanks for your concern and info.

Old 09-25-05, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just so you know. It is also NOT legal for a renter to do electrical work on an apartment. Unless of course they are licensed and/or insured to do so.
Contact the landlord to perform this work.