Licensed Electrician Fees?

Old 09-26-05, 09:33 AM
GhostD
Visiting Guest
Licensed Electrician Fees?

Morning All,

I will be needing to hire a licensed (in Georgia) electrician to come into my home and inspect the service-entrance wire and main breaker for potential code violations. I have never hired an electrician before, and this is probably more atypical than a job to add an outlet, etc.

The service-entrance wire is exposed in the basement with clear PVC jacket marking, and the main breaker outdoors shows what it is rated for. I just need a formal write-up of any potential less than code condition.

I have no idea what this would cost and I'd imagine it wouldn't take but 15-20 minutes of inspection (plus travel time, so say and hour or two) to conclude. I am not seeking a hired-resolution electrician, but rather trying to document any problem therein for legal follow-up.

The house is about five years old, I'm the only owner, and live in the 30519 Buford, Georgia area. Not really sure what this will cost me for a write-up of found, or not found, problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asking a contractor to "look at" your system, and asking him to put a report in writing are two different things. Many guy will not be comfortable to do that. If you are looking for the basis for legal action, you may need a licensed electrical engineer.

As far as a quick look-see, a guy that is not too busy might do that for whatever his minimum service call is.

Old 09-26-05, 09:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know about an electrical engineer. In my part of the world most know very little about construction wiring. (Not you Bob )

I agree about a contractor not wanting to get involved in the middle of your legal dispute. I would not.
An electrical inspector is a person you may want to call. They charge a fee around here and are not part of the building depatrment. Many areas they are part of the building dept. Call your local office to be sure.

What is the problem with your 5 year old house? Wasn't it inspected when it was built?
Why do you suspect something is wrong?

Old 09-27-05, 05:22 AM
As mentioned, if this is the basis or proof for a legal dispute, you might want an electrical engineer. There are many that design the buildings you work and sometimes live (larger buildings) in. They have a license that states that they can practice electrical engineering in your state.
Of course you don't want an electrical engineer that only designs computers, but many do construction related power design.

Old 09-27-05, 05:30 AM
You may be able to approach this from a different angle.
Call 3 different electrical companies, and ask them to quote bringing your service up to code.
Here anyway, you can get a guy to quote a job for free, and the quote is in writing. If 3 different electric companies quote making the same changes, then you have what you need in wirting.

Old 09-27-05, 07:45 AM
All, This goes along with another thread posted by GhostD...

GhostD, Assume this is moot now?

Doug M.

Old 09-27-05, 07:48 AM
GhostD
Visiting Guest
Yeah, I found the missing 2/0. I didn't realize the idea of hiring an electrician to come into a home and determining a wire violation was such beyond their comfort-zones. Gosh, if they are not confident in doing basic residential analysis on a five year old home ...

Old 09-27-05, 07:56 AM
I think the problem is most self employed electricians aren't comfortable with the prospect of getting hauled into court and loosing a day or more worth of pay. Engineers are usually salaried.

Doug M.