Ceiling fan box + drop ceiling

Old 09-26-05, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan box + drop ceiling

OK...We're getting ready to wire a basement bedroom (yes, there is proper egress). The basement has close to 10' of headroom at most places, and we plan to install a drop ceiling at 9' height.

I'm planning the electrical, and the one thing I'm not sure how to handle is the ceiling fan. How does one usually install an electrical box for the fan when a drop ceiling is involved?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 10:06 AM
A possible solution is two pieces of 3/4" "B-Line" support-channel, and threaded-rod.The B-Line is designed with either slots or holes along it's lenth for the insertion of support-rods and hangers.

A piece of the B-Line is fastened to the joists above the suspended ceiling. Two pieces of threaded-rod, fastened to the B-Line with nuts & washers, extend down to the second piece of B-Line, which has the fan-box fastened to it with nuts,bolts, & washers.This piece of B-Line also fastens to the two lenths of lenths of threaded-rod with nuts & washers. It is to be noted that the fan-box does not rely on the suspened-ceiling for support.

Your choice on the diameter of the rod, since you now have been designated as the "design engineer".

Good Luck & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-05, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Most ceiling fans can be pole mounted on a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 rigid through the drop ceiling to the framing members above. You would then just need to poke a hole through the tile and install the decortive trim around the pole.

You could also simply build a 2x4 frame that extends down from the rafters to the height of the finished ceiling and mount the fan box to that. The trim of the fan will cover a lot.

Old 09-26-05, 01:20 PM
Just go to your local electrical supply house and buy a ceiling fan box and grid support bar. I cannot recall the manufacturer off the top of my head but I am thinking it is Caddy.

We install them all the time. There is one bar that goes across the 2'section and a second that T's off to the side. Then there is a chain that you attatch to the ceiling joist for safety. Very easy to install.

OK I have some info. It is made by Fan Brace Inc.
Model #1070 and it is in the Saf-T-Grid line of products.
It will hold up to 45lbs.

Last edited by pewee; 09-26-05 at 01:43 PM.