how much

Old 09-26-05, 02:36 PM
iceburg
Visiting Guest
Cool how much

Could someone tell me whether or not electrical contractors charge a marked up price for parts used in the construction of a project? If so, how much mark up?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 03:00 PM
The answer is, it's a moot point.

Contractors charge based on how much they need to clear to make a job worthwhile. Some mark up their parts and supplies but charge less for labor, while some bill the merchandise at cost and pad their labor rate. It pretty much all works out the same.

Old 09-26-05, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would hope they do. Why would they not???
I know I do.

Go to a car dealer and ask how much they make for basically being a middle man. I'm surrrrrre you'll get an honest answer.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 09-26-05 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-26-05, 08:02 PM
There are costs involved: Carrying cost of the money laid out ( This is more for inventoried parts, less for parts purchased for immediate install.) Labor cost for the employess who go get the parts, prepare the purchase order, handle the accounts payable, etc. Allowance for waste ( if I buy 250 feet of romex for your job, and use 235, that 15 feet is not returnable and probably not usable. It is scrap). Why would I NOT pass those costs on to the customer? Not to mention profit. A business needs to make a profit on everything they do, including provide parts to your job. Mother Theresa is not involved here. If you do not agree with me about this analysis, then you become a Do-it-Yourselfer. We will be happy to help you on these forums, and we do it for free!

Old 09-26-05, 08:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by 594tough
A business needs to make a profit on everything they do, including provide parts to your job.
No, no, no. You got it wrong.
We are only supposed to be paid for the exact amount of time we are actually on the premesis of the job. Any time away from the jobsite, regardless of the fact that it is directly related to the job, is worthless.
Didn't you know that?

Old 09-27-05, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
No, no, no. You got it wrong.
We are only supposed to be paid for the exact amount of time we are actually on the premesis of the job. Any time away from the jobsite, regardless of the fact that it is directly related to the job, is worthless.
Didn't you know that?
If I were a one man contractor, maybe. I would figure in the time not on a jobsite, and figure that into the job on a jomsite, or the rate. Maybe, on average, 1/4 a day spent running around getting materials, or otherwise carrying out the buisness. At that, mark up the parts accordingly for the time and resources spent gathering paterials, and/or padding the on-site rate to account for the 1/4 day not spent on site.

If I were an employee of a contractor, I'd expect the same salary rate regardless if I were on site working, or running aroung fetching materials.