warm switch cover


Old 09-26-05, 10:53 PM
Sherv's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11
Exclamation warm switch cover

1940's built house in Seattle. Mostly original wiring.
I turned off the bathroom light switch, and the lights stayed on. hmmm, that's not right. I then felt the switch cover and it was quite warm to the touch and a hint of burning smell.

Turned off the breaker, and changed out both switches with new ones. The sheathing of the wire was blackish in some areas. After putting the new switches in, there's no more warm feel to the switches (haven't put the plate back on yet) and it seems to be working fine, no burnish smell.

Now my question: is this just a case of a switch gone bad, or are there more serious problems here?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-05, 04:16 AM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
Either switch gone bad or poor wiring connections to the old switch. Both solved by proper replacement of the switches.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes