Ground wire & Service

Old 09-27-05, 08:20 AM
Question Ground wire & Service

Hi all,

I was looking at the side of my house this weekend and noticed something weird. The grounding wire (thick copper) from my main panel runs out of the house and into the ground beside the exterior side. Is this a big deal, or do I need to add this to my list of things for the electrician?

Also, how can I tell what my electrical service is? I know that I have a 200 A main breaker, but how can I tell if the main feed is capable of supplying this? I know I'll never need 200 A, but the lights flash on and off only when the A/C compressor comes on, and I am trying to investigate what may be causing it (loose connection somewhere vs. underpowered house). To my knowledge the compressor and blower fan aren't tied into the lights circuit.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-05, 09:12 AM
The grounding wire (thick copper) from my main panel runs out of the house and into the ground beside the exterior side.
This isn't weird. It's normal.

the lights flash on and off only when the A/C compressor comes on
Call your power company and ask them to check out their equipment and connections. Most will willingly do so, but some may give you a hard time or tell you to call an electrician. Depending on how series the flashing is, this may or may not be a problem, and it may or may not be a power company problem. But since most power companies will check out their stuff for free, it's always a good place to start if they are willing.

Old 09-27-05, 06:14 PM
electrical idio
Visiting Guest
I had some of the same problem. Turns out that my neutral was too small. When the electric company puts up bigger wire they only tie into your existing wiring. So the line to the pole has #2 and the wire in may still be #6. One I upgraded my mast and increased my wire to #2 my dimming problem went away.