Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

is 100amp main in mobil home enough to install a new heat pump?

Old 09-27-05, 08:34 PM

hi, i live in a mobil home that has a main breaker box with a 100 amp main and a double 50amp breaker that runs to an addition. the breaker panel inside has a 150 amp main...breaker values inside this panel add up to 200amp when all are totaled.not sure thats proper math, but combined breakers values add up to that.whats involved in making the heat pump work with this wireing? if enough, can the unit be wired outside at the main breaker box(maybe by installing breakers there?) or will i need to do something else? if an upgrade to say 200amps is needed; whats involved there?winter is nearing so i need to get on the ball if im going to have heat... thanks for any guidance here.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-05, 08:15 AM
Is this heat pump REPLACING an existing furnace or A/C load? If it is a totally new load, then is doesn't sound like you have enough capacity.

Old 09-28-05, 07:33 PM
yes, the new heatpump will replace an old gun furnace that runs on fuel oil, but that furnace was 110 where as the new one will be 220..also it will replace the 2 ton a/c package unit that is 220....im thinking that i have 100amp service, but someone told me that because the meter was rated at 240 volts; i had a 200amp service...someone else said that because my main lines from the power company were 2/0 aluminum the main service was 150 amps...no straight answers so far...lol...so asumming that it is only 100amps and doing away with the other heat and a/c units do you think this unit could be used?

Old 09-28-05, 08:52 PM
100amp main in mobil home

well how many amps are the old systems and how many are the new ones